• What are the possibilities to extent the OMV two more nodes than one. What if we realize that our OMV is too small.

I'd like to have the possibility to:
    - move account from one OMVzto an other.
    + to avoid to reconfigure the client, they must be an uniq URL which point to a resource(a share). This can be done with
    o DNS: we provide an alias for each resource, and as we move a resource from one OMV to an other we update the DNS.
    o IPV6: as we have a lot of IP per domain, we could fix one IP per resource, and as we move a resource from one to an other OMV, we move the IPV6 adress.
    o IPV4: we could do the same as IPv6, if we could reserve a big range 10.0.0.0/8 for example.

- an OVM could talk to the other easily
    + so that we can provide a web interface to move a resource (a share) from an OVM to an other.
    + so that we can trigger rsync from one node to other
    + so that every OVM keeps information of the all the metadata of every OVM.

Sounds cool, or sounds like I'm a bit crazy.

That way, OVM could scale more easily.

Do you think, that this is possible to implement with your plugin API; that this could be a good idea; That this represent a huge work ?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Yuhl

• Offizieller Beitrag

Seems a little beyond the scope of OMV. LDAP could provide a central user database but moving a share to another box would be tough. You need an awful lot of users to need more than one file server. How many users are you thinking?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'm currently working at the University of Geneva. In some departement, they do manage share for 80 people. They currently use solaris with ZFS. The situation is fine, and ZFS rocks. But as a user suddenly needs more space, we end up doing rsync stuff, and we feel that this can be automated.

Furthermore, we'd like to not reconfigure the client each time we move a share. So we have to use an uniq URL (a uniq IP or uniq hostname).

• Offizieller Beitrag

One box should be able to handle 80 people. I run a dual xeon 5320 with an 8 drive hardware raid 5 with two virtual machines for 200 people at a school.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• We are currently offering about 1 TB of data per user. So we have about 100TB on line through 10 Solaris machines.
    As we manage about 10 servers, we'd like to have some orchestration tools to ease our work.

• The question remains :

Is there a way to access your api remotely, to somehow be able to have an orchestrator which can talk to OMV.

Yuhl

Is there an IRC where we can talk ?

• No IRC, yet.

If someone would create a cluster plugin, the plugin could take of the communication between the two, or more, nodes. So I think this is up to a plugin implementation. I doubt that Volker will implement it himself, so its really up to the plugin devs.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ohoh… I'm not asking that someone else implement it as I do not have the cash for it ;)

I'm simply trying to see, if the developpers of OMV see a way of achieving this. I'm interested to implement it. But I have to confess that I know very little on OMV and even less on php. My programming choice is python, so I have much to learn.

Does the plugin must be in php, or does the OMV offer other way of interfacing

Tkanks for your help.

yuhl

P.-S. Mean while I'll install OMV on a virtualbox.

• OMV offers a Plugin API. The Webinterface is written in Ext4JS. You need to know bash scripting, java, php and I don't know what else, a bit of everything I would say.

If you're interested to get deeper into the plugin development, I can invite you to the Plugin development group/forum.

I can tell you for sure that Volker Theile, the main and only developer of OMV will not implement such feature into OMV directly. It is way above the target of OMV.

Greetings
    David

Edit: No need for cash, most of the people here do theire work for free, alltough donations are allways appreciated!

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!