Plex Server question

• I'm reinstalling OMV and Plex on a new box because my old media server had a few "issues", including, but not limited to; losing all of my data and the video card catching on fire. not like "it burned out" but flames and smoke and me with a quizzical look on my face, thinking "oh, well isn't that cute." Yeah, it was a long day.
    Annnnnnnnnnnyway, back to my question,

My OMV system drive is a 64gb SSD and I was planning on installing Plex and leaving it there since the transcodes would be faster (I watch a lot of TV at work) but would there be any performance benefit to adding an additional SSD and moving Plex to it?
    Is there enough I/O from OMV on the system drive to warrant moving Plex to a second SSD? Obviously I realize it couldn't hurt, but I don't know enough about the OMV overhead to decide if it will actually warrant my time to move it.

So, thanks for reading and if you've got any suggestions or relevant input I would be more than happy to hear it.

• I think the most important thing here, if you are watching remotely, is your cpu and upload bandwidth. Are you just locally or remotely? Having system drive as ssd and separate data drive is quite effective.

• CPU is an i7 960 @ 3.2GHz. Upload is 8-9Mbps.
    Both Local and Remote. Local there are 5 clients, usually 2 or 3 simultaneous. Remotely there are 2 clients sometimes they are both connected. The locals Direct Play but the remotes do on the 720 and 1080's. On my last OMV I/O would hit the roof when the next transcode chunk was written and it would buffer. As a general rule the latency on the drive was too high to even keep up with the transcode writes so it never got far enough ahead to recover from the new writes. Thus the reason I decided to go with the SSD for the system this time around.
    I do believe you sold me on putting Plex on the second SSD when you said "quite effective", granted it's no "You had me at hello" but we're talking computers not love and baseball. :)

Thanks for the input. once everything is done I will post back with some updates on the performance and stuff.

K

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!