English: OMV Guide for Dummies

• Because the topics about how OMV works are raising I decided to create a topic on how OMV works. This will guide you through the standard configuration. Please be aware of that since OMV 0.5 configuration changes are not applied immediatly. As soon as you've done your first configuration change a yellow box will apply above the right frame that the configuration changes are not applied yet. You can click this box after you've don all configuration changes. The advantage of that behaviour is that you can do multiple changes and only need to restart the services once. Before OMV had to restart the services on each configuration change.

At first some Informations about the Installation: It is recommended to not use any USB-devices, SD-Cards or any other Flash Media for the OS Installation. SSDs can be used without problems. It is recommendend to install OMV without any data disks attached. Also it is neccessary to have at least one more drive for data storage. The OS disk can not be used to store data!

When you've finished your installation you can attach your data disk(s) again and start up your OMV. On booting you will see the IP of your OMV. If you access that IP in your Webbrowser you will see the Webinterface of OMV. You can login with the username "admin" and the password "openmediavault". If you wish you can change that passwort immediatly under System -> General Settings. Now take a quick look at the Webinterface yourself.

To start with the configuration of a data storage we need to setup the hard disk(s) first. In this Guide I expect that only one hard disk without any RAID or LVM will be configured. Under Storage -> Physical Disks you can see the hard disks that are available to the system. You should at least see one more drive beside your OS drive. For this second drive we now want to setup the filesystem.
    We now go into Storage -> Filesystems. There we click onto create and chose the Hard Disk for which you want to create the filesystem. Recommended Filesystems are XFS or EXT4. You need to decide yourself which one suits your better, because it depend on many varying factors which filesystem is the one to chose. As Label you may choose anything like "Photos", "Videos", "Movies" or simply "BackuptoHDD1". If you know apply the filesystem creation this should only take a few moments. After that you will see the filesystem in the listing with mounted showing "no". You now need to select the the filesystem and click on "mount". With this action the filesystem gets mounted and can be used by OMV.

Before we now create the shares we need to create a user first which will be set up to access the shares we create. In the Webinterface we go onto Access Right Management -> User. Here we click onto Add -> Add. While creating the user you primarily care about the username and the password. All other settings are irrelevant at this point and you leave them untouched. A click ond save and we take onto the next step.

We now need to create a "Shared Folder" which then gets distributed via the different Services like SMB/CIFS (Windows Share), NFS or FTP. Therefore we go into Access Right Management -> Shared Folders. There we click on add. We now have to chose a name for this folder. E.g. "Fotos". Then you choose the previously created Filesystem as a the Volume. If you leave Path untouched the folder will automatically created based on the name of the share you chose above. The permissions you choose next are the rights the folder will have in the filesystem. You can go with the standard choice for now. If you want to, you can add a commentary for the Folder. After that, click on on save.
    To use the previously created user to access this folder we need to select the folder and click onto priviliges. There you select Read/Write for your user. Save it.

We now get onto the last step, to share the folder with a service in the network. We therefore go onto Service -> SMB/CIFS. On the tab settings you need to enable SMB/CIFS and save this. Then you go into the tab "Shares". Here you choose the name that is shown in 'Windows' when accessing the shared folder. (This name can differ from the one you chose for the shared folder!) As the shared folder you choose the one you created earlier on. You can leave the other settings untouched. Save.

Last but not least we now need to apply all changes. You do that by clicking onto the yellow block that is shown above and clicking apply. When you're asked to confirm it, click yes.

Now you access your share over the Windows Network. You can simply access it by typing "\\IPofyourOMV" into the addressbar of any Folder.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Merry Christmas. Have fun with the new guide.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Ah, and of course: Added to the HowTo's.

Greetings
    David

• Dennis, just take this: http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2916

Greetings
    David

• Just wanted to say Thanks for this. This helped me get started. I had trouble saving the options I switched to, because I didn't know I had to press the little green button, every time i made a change to the settings. This tutorial solved that for me. Thank you :)

• Update to the latest version and the green button will be replaced by a yellow box you can't overlook.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Update to the latest version and the green button will be replaced by a yellow box you can't overlook.

Greetings
    David

yep, updated and noticed the yellow bar, can't miss that now :lol:
    thanks again for this

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!