Questions on N54L and OMV

• Hey Folks,

I am thinking of buying a HP Proliant N54L with OMV. Before buying, I want to ensure that my ideas will work on the new system. Thus I have a few questions:

1.) Is it true that WOL will not work on N54L and OMV?
    2.) N54L is not Hot Swap ready, is it difficult to add new HDDs? I will start with only 2 3TB HDDs and RAID 0

The N54L will be used as file storage, for the fun part, I have a Synology 112j.

3.) The 112j should be backed up every week through rsync on the N54L. Possible?

I also have a Website hosted at a professional hoster

4.) While I am not at home, I will upload files on my webspace which should be downloaded automatically by the N54L. Possible?
    I don't have rsync or ssh on the Webspace, only FTP. Possible with FTP to do it incremental? 5.) Is it possible to get some kind of error message if the script could not download all files?

6.) While I am not at home it is possible that clients want some pictures which are stored on the N54L. Is it possible to log in on the N54L and
    use it as FTP Client and upload the files to the Webserver?

Ok that's all for now, thanks a lot for your help!

Franz

• WOL: yes, possible
    Hot Swap, don't know about it...
    backup: possible
    automatic download: possible but would need a good script, maybe a bit out of range for OMV, but possible
    incremental per ftp: doubtfull
    error message: of course, however you would need to dig a bit for a working script
    ftp client: possible but I doubt that it will be user friendy...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "franze2424"

Hey Folks,

2.) N54L is not Hot Swap ready, is it difficult to add new HDDs? I will start with only 2 3TB HDDs and RAID 0

By default the HP Microserver N36L, N40L and N54L is only Cold Swap ready but the Hot Swap function is only hidden in the HP BIOS. Just follow (carefully!) the instructions in the following link for flashing a modified BIOS to make your N54L ready for Hot Swap. Works like a charm.

http://homeservershow.com/hp-p…dification-revisited.html

If you are interested in more details about the HP MicroServer please see here:
    http://homeservershow.com/foru…/forum/67-hp-microserver/

OMV 0.5.x - 64 bit - 3.2 Backport Kernel
    HP HP ProLiant MicroServer N54L (4GB RAM), HDD: 1 x 160 GB, 1 x WD RED 3 TB, Clients: Mac OSX 10.6, Win7

• Thanks a lot for your replies!

Honestly, I have no clues about Linux scripts, so large scripts might be a big problem.

Do you think there is another OS that might fit my needs better?

• I don't think there is any OS that would fit these needs better than OMV. At least I don't know of any OS that can handle your requested features from the start.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!