[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• @Solo0815 I'm unsure who's the dev behind the plugin for OMV but since you created the thread I'm pinging you :)

Would it be possible to either add an "extra arguments" variable or alternatively add stuff like:

SYNC_WARN_THRESHOLD and other snapraid options?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'm unsure who's the dev behind the plugin for OMV but since you created the thread I'm pinging you

Would it be possible to either add an "extra arguments" variable or alternatively add stuff like:

SYNC_WARN_THRESHOLD and other snapraid options?

I am the dev. I guess I could add that but I don't see it in the snapraid manual? What other options are you looking at?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I never thought to look if the variable was a native snapraid command.. I found it here:

zackreed.me/snapraid-split-parity-sync-script/

and thought it'd be a great addition :-|

That is a parameter of that script not snapraid itself. There has been talk of updating the current snapraid diff script to this but someone who uses snapraid would need to do it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am the dev. I guess I could add that but I don't see it in the snapraid manual? What other options are you looking at?

Hi, is it "safe" to manually update/install SnapRAID (to 11.2). I'm assuming it will be fine as long as there are no breaking changes in snap itself.
    I browsed the plugin code on github but didn't find the parts that actually install snap, so I'm unsure of the logic when this plugin has an update. Thanks!

p.s. I actually created a thread SnapRAID - Plugin Version is old?

• Quick question. Is there any way to automate daily sync beyond writing your own script and schedualing it with a cron job?

There are numerous already written SnapRaid scripts available. The one bundled with OMV is just one of them. I use this one on cron:

Code
    https://gist.github.com/bfg100k/87a1bbccf4f15d963ff7

Google for more scripts.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• What is the snapraid-diff.conf for?

I want to set up my scrubs to run on specific days and not 100% every 7 days.

Does this run automatically or can I just set up my scrubs via cron?

OMV 4.1.4 Arrakis | 34TB SnapRAID+MergerFS
    Supermicro X10SLM+-F| Xeon E3-1285L | 16gb ECC Ram | LSI SAS9220-8i
    5 x 8TB WD Red | 2x 3TB WD Red | 128gb Samsung 830 EVO

• snapraid-diff.conf holds the settings for the script that is provided by OMV.

The settings come from what is entered in OMV Services | SnapRAID | Diff Script Settings, but the script does not run automatically unless scheduled as a task or via a manual cron entry.

You can schedule whatever you want via cron or OMV's built in task scheduler - either OMV's provided script, or another freely available one, or something you write yourself.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I see, thank you.

In your opinion is a weekly whole array scrub best practice or should I schedule a lower percentage to run every few days?

How stressfuly for a drive is a scrub?

• It depends on how many drives and how much they hold, but for me, a 100% scrub would be impractical. It would take far too long to complete. I have no idea how stressful this would be.

I diff, sync, and scrub 10% every other day.

--

• Do you use a script that you'd be willing to share?

• I have the following array set up in SnapRAID:

1 x disk of 2TB (parity)
    5 x HDDs of varied sizes (data)
    1 x SSD (data)

I created this before I'd really got to grips with SnapRAID and it needs a bit of tweaking now I've had some more time to think things through. I want to remove the SSD from the array, because 1) the files on it change too often for SnapRAID to be useful and 2) they are covered by another form of backup. I also want to add a new 2TB parity drive.

I'm having difficulty getting SnapRAID to accept me removing the drive from the array. If I remove it via the plugin (see pic 1 - the SSD is the last drive in the list) and then try to run the sync command, I get an error message stating that the drive has been removed from the config, and asking me to restore it (see pic 2). If I try to remove it by manually editing the snapraid.conf file via SSH and then forcing a sync, as per the instructions here, then I succeed in altering the snapraid.conf file as shown in my SSH window (pic 3), but it does not update the config as shown in the plugin (pic 4), and therefore I'm stuck with the same problem.

What am I doing wrong here? What's the best way to permanently remove the SSD from the array? (I'll leave adding a new parity disk as I think that I know how to do that!

Thanks!

• You must remove the drive via the plugin gui. Like many things in OMV, the plugin edits the .conf so manually editing the .conf doesn't work.

So, remove the drive using the plugin, then through a terminal force a sync.

• OK, thank you @jollyrogr.

So the correct procedure would be:

• Delete the SSD from the drive list within the plugin
    • Then go to a terminal window and execute the command:
    Code
    snapraid sync -F

Do I have that right? Or would it be the same command with the modifiers -FV?

Thanks!

• Should be snapraid -e sync

-f would force a full rebuild of parity which you would need to do if you added a parity drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!