[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• if i save the script as *.sh (and change the first line to #!/bin/sh) and start the job, i get this

Bilder

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• # I start on the console script
    # omv does something
    # after 2 seconds he is ready and inputline is free again
    # there is no ouput (start, ready, error, ....)

Server:
    BitFenix Phenom M - ASRock B75 Pro3-M - 8GB Crucial B.S. - Intel G2140 - Corsair CX430M - 1x 64GB SanDisk SDSSDP (system) - 2x 2TB WD20EARX (data) - 1x 3TB WD30EFRX (Snapraid) - TBS6981 DVB-S2 - OMV 0.5x

• i have try the script in a console, and get this:

Server:

• Did you already read the message?
    Decide, what you want to do:
    1. recover the file
    2. diff anyway
    3. delete the file
    and sync after that. Just follow the commands in the text

• Stumbled upon this thread when reading and googling about snapraid.

I am trying to create a simple file server that would allow access to a few Linux and Windows PC on LAN and 2 more over internet. server would offer access to files as well as provide a backup of local files. and I am exploring my options.

What I am interested is about the recovery option. the OP mentiones this in the guide:

I plant to have 2 hard disks on start. One would be a faster one where data is dumped, the other one would hold a backup copy of the files and would be a slower NAS/red drive. Now as I understand this instruction one disk holds the data the other one backup and this command is then used to restore data from the backup disk. or am I mistaking? can I switch either disk if any of them fails and then do a restore?

• With two disks you can also create a RAID1
    Snapraid is more a RAID5 with only one parity http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
    Actually the snapraid-website on SF is down, but maybe it is back online soon: http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html

• A quick question on parity drives. I've got 24 content drives in my OMV, and I'm busily converting from LVM to SnapRAID. As i read the FAQs, I see a recommended 4 parity drives with 24 content drives. I've got enough spare drives to implement 4 parity drives, but the GUI doesn't seem to support it. Can I edit the snapraid.conf manually to add additional parity drives without messing things up, or should I be satisfied with two parity drives?

Thx!

FON

OMV 2.1.x (Stone Burner) 64bit running on an Dell XPS8500 @ 3.4Ghz with 3.16 Backports Kernel with 28 x 4TB WD Reds (110 TB) in MediaSonic Probox enclosures connected by USB 3.0 =O . Snapraid 9.3 for Backup :) . Plex on a separate box for serving media.

• if you edit the file manually, OMV will rewrite the old Version everytimeyou change something in OMV -> snapraid
    You can ask ryeco, it he'll add this [2,3,4,5,6]-parity FILE option to the OMV-GUI

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am working a big change to the snapraid plugin to simplify the user interface and add the ability to have up to six parity drives.

• Thanks ryeco! Can't wait to see it. Love the plugin thusfar. Thanks so much for it. I sleep better at night, knowing that my wife is less likely to be upset by the loss of her favorite shows. ;)

FON

OMV 2.1.x (Stone Burner) 64bit running on an Dell XPS8500 @ 3.4Ghz with 3.16 Backports Kernel with 28 x 4TB WD Reds (110 TB) in MediaSonic Probox enclosures connected by USB 3.0 =O . Snapraid 9.3 for Backup :) . Plex on a separate box for serving media.

• I am working a big change to the snapraid plugin to simplify the user interface and add the ability to have up to six parity drives.

great!

• hi, i found this script here
    https://github.com/walterheise…/master/omv-snapraid-diff

i try it, but i get

Code
    root@debian:~# sh /bin/cron-snapraid
    /bin/cron-snapraid: 104: /bin/cron-snapraid: Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting ")")
    root@debian:~#

Server:

• Bei mir gab es bei der Umstellung von Version 0.5 auf 1.0.21 das Problem, dass das Snapraid Plugin zwar die Config File lesen konnte, aber Einstellungen wurden unter dem Reiter "Drives" nicht mehr dargestellt. Beim Status usw. wurde festgestellt das keine Content Daten gefunden werden konnten.

Also habe ich die Platten anhand des neuen Guides neu eingefügt. Beim 1. Sync erstellte es aber neuartige Parity und Content Files, was natürlich durch die bereits existierende Parity File in die Hose ging, da die Platte bereits durch die alte Parity Files blockiert war.

Ich konnte mir so helfen, in dem ich die neu erstellen Files gelöscht habe und die alten Files in die neue Schreibweise umbenannt habe. Und schon ging wieder alles.

Beispiel: Alt: parity.file - neu: snapraid.parity - Alt: .content - neu: snapraid.content - die "neue" Config File des Plugin sieht auch gang anders aus als die alte. Insofern denke ich, war das Umbenennen die unproblematischste Idee. Oder?

• Hi,

This is my very first post in the OMV forum. :)
    I am new to OMV + snapraid. So figuring out what I got so far took two evenings and a lot of reading.
    My setup: DIY NAS with 3x1TB WD reds + 1 SSD with OMV on it.

I really like what SnapRAID is offering. Redundancy, fault correction, 1 disk spins up and snapshot functionality.. So I love to get this to work well. .
    What I desire is 2 mirrored disks (so I can continue work with 1 fail) + 1 parity disk for rebuilding/fault correction.. Currently, this is what my config file looks like.

To explain what you see above. I gave the ID's of the WD reds according to the serial number of the disk. This way making it easier to ID the broken disk. :) Anyway....

I see now I have 2 data disks and 1 parity disk. DataDisk 1 is mounted (all are) and contains a working shared folder. The folder is synced OK. But I have a question what my second datadisk is doing now. I see it is nearly empty in the OMV>filesystem tab, while the datadisk 1 + parity disk contains each about 240Gb. But I'd like the second datadisk to be a mirror of the contents of disk 1.

Q: Am I misunderstanding the way I should go about setting up snapraid? Do I need to have 1 data disk and 2 parity disk to get what I want? Or do I need to change my expectations. :) (open for discussion here )

Thank you very much for all the work done and time you are willing to spend on my querries :)

• Snapraid does not sync your datadrives 1 and 2. If you "sync" in Snapraid, the paritydata is written to your paritydrive.
    You have to use another plugin to achieve, what you want:
    RSync

1. Setup "RSync" to sync your Datadrive 1 to drive 2
    This can be setup with a cron-job, e.g. every day at 10:00 or something else

2. SnanRAID sync
    when rsync is finished, your Data on drive 1 is the same as on drive 2. Now you can use Snapraid to write the parity-data.
    If a drive fails, you can recover it with snapraid.

Please try this in a VM first, to be sure, it works as expected.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!