[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not sure why. It seems to work on my system. The changes I made should execute the sync no matter what your setting is. Can you enable debug mode on the settings tab and post the output?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• here you go

• I tried disabling the prehash button and then the cron job works

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looking at the debug output, the parameter is being set correctly.

According to the manual, you can use -h or --pre-hash in the form snapraid -h sync or snapraid --pre-hash sync. The button on the drives tab actually uses snapraid sync -h which is the format that the snapraid binary tells you to use.

I changed it to what the binary says in 3.6.4 in the repo now.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

ahh. Looks like maybe you were missing the "-" in "--pre-hash"?

Thanks. Didn't even notice that for some reason. Fixed in 3.6.5.

• Will you backport this change to the OMV 2.x plugin?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Still having an error here on my fresh install (OMV 3.x and Snapraid 3.6.4 plugin

Code
    root@OpenMediaVault:/usr/sbin# omv-snapraid-diff
    /usr/sbin/omv-snapraid-diff: line 365: [: -eq: unary operator expected

Same error from cron window and command line

Line 365-366

Code
    if [ $(omv_config_get "/config/services/snapraid/prehash") -eq 1 ]; then
    	prehash=" --prehash"

Edit: If i disable the pre-hash setting it works fine

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will you backport this change to the OMV 2.x plugin?

I wasn't planning on it.

Still having an error here on my fresh install (OMV 3.x and Snapraid 3.6.4 plugin

I fixed that shortly after I released 3.6.4. Look up a few posts and you will see 3.6.5 was released.

• Quick questions before I plan and use SnapRAID:

1. Does SnapRAID see HDDs merged using mergefs as one big HDD or separate HDDs?
    2. To add the content files to these HDDs, if the HDD is considered full by mergefs, is it still possible to make the content file there even though it has 16GB of space left (I have set mergefs such that it will switch to another HDD when current HDD has 16GB of space left)?
    3. How long do syncing or scrubbing take? Is there a way to calculate rough estimates?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does SnapRAID see HDDs merged using mergefs as one big HDD or separate HDDs?

Both. When setting up snapraid, pretend you don't have mergerfs installed and don't use the mergerfs anywhere in snapraid.

To add the content files to these HDDs, if the HDD is considered full by mergefs, is it still possible to make the content file there even though it has 16GB of space left (I have set mergefs such that it will switch to another HDD when current HDD has 16GB of space left)?

Maybe.

How long do syncing or scrubbing take? Is there a way to calculate rough estimates?

Hard to say. Depends on cpu speed, file size, disk speed, etc.

• Both. When setting up snapraid, pretend you don't have mergerfs installed and don't use the mergerfs anywhere in snapraid.

Maybe.

Hard to say. Depends on cpu speed, file size, disk speed, etc.

Thanks! I hope SnapRAID will play nice with rsnapshot too (which on principle alone should be fine since SnapRAID also see the hardlinked files as normal files too?)

Time to get the new HDDs soon too

• Hi,

Got some strange issues with a fresh install.
    When adding drives, the pulldownmenu is empty. I wiped the hard drives but it doesn't matter.
    Any idea's?

• Hi,

When adding drives, the pulldownmenu is empty. I wiped the hard drives but it doesn't matter.
    Any idea's?

Are the drives formatted and mounted?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Hi,

Any idea's?

do you mean in SnapRaid tab?

SnapRaid does not work with raw drives. it is kind of a "pseudo raid" and need an FS on the disk and disk mounted in the system.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• Hmm weird, I thought I did that allready.
    I can see them now.

Though, even een question regarding configuration.
    What do you use for fs underneath (underneath the snap)? Used Ext4 now.
    Was also looking into MergerFS.

(strange, i thought i posted this..)

• you looking at it all wrong.

SnapRaid sits on top of FS. you can use any FS you want on the drives and just put them into SnapRaid setup. it is a independent software that, to some degree, emulate raid functionality.

same thing with MergerFS. it is not a file system per see, it is a software layer that aggregate a bunch of disks into a single presentable volume but works on top of existing FS. like an intermediary between them and user shares.

what is great about both a snapraid and mergers is that they work with existing disks with existing FS on them, they are non-destructive to the data, as in you can add drives with data to both on the fly and data will be there for you to use, and you can remove disassemble the pools and data still be there.

you use SnapRaid for data protection and you use MergerFS for have a single pool to work with using multiple hardware disks underneath.

unlike ,what I usually call a real raid, hardware or software, which does 2 things at the same time,
    1. pools a bunch of disks into single volume and protects the data on that pool
    SR and MergerFS do only one thing each.
    SnapRaid protects your data from destruction and keeps you running if a hardware drive fails
    and MergerFS allows you to merge (pool) a bunch of drives into a single volume.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!