[HowTo] SnapRAID in OMV

• Moved the Guide to the Guides section:
    SnapRAID Plugin Guide

This is the Questions / Problems / Diskussions thread. Feel free to contribute here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like a great candidate for a plugin and my server :)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How often do you run snapraid sync/scrub? Cron job, I assume?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

How often do you run snapraid sync/scrub? Cron job, I assume?

Here I run very basic cronjob just to sync every night and a check every fortnight, including a redirection to a proper logfile, which snapraid does not normally do.

A much more sophisticated script can be found here, including email notification and protection from accidental deletion propagation.

A plugin for snapraid (and mhddfs or aufs for that matter, a combination of both would be superb) is greatly appreciated! :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thanks for the info :)

Zitat von "Cantello"

A plugin for snapraid (and mhddfs or aufs for that matter, a combination of both would be superb) is greatly appreciated! :)

I haven't used snapraid but doesn't the pool feature do that?

• I have modified the snapraid script a little bit: https://github.com/walterheisenberg/omv-snapraid-scripts
    There are some special modifications for me in the script, but for a generic version i can leave out the stuff.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I haven't used snapraid but doesn't the pool feature do that?

Snapraid's pool feature does read-only pooling as far as I understood it. When writing data, you still need to specify a folder to write to. In my opinion, this is better done with a specific tool to get balanced writing, such as mhddfs.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That makes sense :) Thanks!

• Rather than create a new thread, I just thought I'd add to this one...

I'm really excited about the snapraid plugin being developed. I've been a big fan of OMV since I first started using it. But at the same time, I've always been a bit jealous of unRaid and the flexibility that their parity drive solution gives. Snapraid offers a pretty good compromise solution, with much of the same flexibility but with the added benefit of being open source and not bound to a particular distro. Making it available as an OMV plugin really enhances BOTH products.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Glad you like it :) I don't use snapraid yet but I would love to make the plugin better with suggestions from people who do use it.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Рад, что вам нравится :) я не использую snapraid еще, но я хотел бы сделать плагин лучше предложения от людей, которые используют его.

maybe we should add an automatic scheduled scan directly into the settings?

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Рад, что вам нравится :) я не использую snapraid еще, но я хотел бы сделать плагин лучше предложения от людей, которые используют его.

Your Russian looks good Ryeco... :lol: :lol:

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Wtf?!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

He must be using chrome and it autotranslated :)

We are working on a script that would run in cron. See here.

• Hi :D
    Does the snapraid plug-in include a union mount service like aufs or unionfs ? I know snapraid, this is great piece of software but compared to raid5 you haven't the ability to overlaid multiple file systems to form a single file system.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am working on a mhddfs plugin. It would be easy to make an aufs plugin after that. Hopefully, I can port the greyhole plugin in the next few months as well.

• Thanks both for your reply.
    According to me Greyhole is not the best choice, because you don't obtain a virtual file system but a CIFS share which of course it's not view by the system the same way.
    For example if you want to add a path to your Plex configuration, I think that you can't do it using greyhole, because Plex lists only all file systems even if they are virtual.

mhddfs seems to be similar as aufs and simpler. But aufs is faster than mhddfs because it's built into the kernel

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think speed will be an issue with mhddfs because it just writes to a drive until it is at the set fill point and moves to the next drive. Either way, that is why I want both as plugins (might even combine them).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!