[RESOLVED] How to create Custom Permission

• Hi folks

Please i need your help in creating custom file permission, it's no sweat at all when it come's to
    windows but when it come's to OMV i really don't know how to do it.

for example i want my share folder of user1 to be access by user1 only root should be deny upon access.
    and user 1 should always prompt to enter his/her credential upon access to shared folder. is it possible to accomplish this task?

appreciate if someone will walk me through

Thanks!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you look at the ACLs in the Shared Folder tab?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi there,

Yah, i look at ACL but im a little bit confuse.
    here is the scenario let's say that i want a custom permission to user 1
    he is allowed to do everything aside from delete. and the rest are all read only.

and 2nd i want all users to be prompt for credential just like in Active Directory(Windows)
    that each time you access resources it will prompt you for authentication which OMV
    can do but why on earth i experience it when i start to access other folder that assign for other user it just let me in without
    asking for authentication.

hope you can help me

thank in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you give a user write permissions, they can edit and delete a file. There is no way to take away delete privileges unless you take away write privileges. If you look at the privileges window, it should show all users and you can check the box for what permissions they get for that share.

If the user you are signed in as has permissions (and same password) for the share/file, it shouldn't ask you for credentials (neither does AD). Windows remembers passwords so you won't be forced to enter a password again for a share until you reboot. So, not sure what you are looking for on that one.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• This is possible in windows and i really did it to production.
    were all user in domain couldn't delete they only have copy but no cut.

By the way i'm dealing with important document and as much as possible
    i want to preserved every doc that we have.

And all password of my test users aren't identical that's why i'm confuse, can you walk me
    through with these scenario? just the authentication that every user should be prompt with
    login . and forget the no delete maybe i can make a work around as soon i explore this software.

Thanks bro! :D

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ken_27"

This is possible in windows and i really did it to production.
    were all user in domain couldn't delete they only have copy but no cut.

Copy but no cut but still edit? You can't do that in OMV. I don't know AD well enough to know whether you can or not. If just want copy but no cut then that is read only.

Zitat von "ken_27"

And all password of my test users aren't identical that's why i'm confuse, can you walk me
    through with these scenario? just the authentication that every user should be prompt with
    login . and forget the no delete maybe i can make a work around as soon i explore this software.

It would be easier for you to give me the scenario you want with sample usernames and sample share names.

• Hello again,

now i know what to really ask for in shared folder/permission.
    i recently notice in ACL if you try to put NO ACCESS for OTHERS
    it will then restrict me to access the shared folder. And if i assign it as a READ-ONLY it
    will work as a READ-ONLY. Even if i assign it to test(User), OMV don't even
    bother to ask for any login /authentication. By the way test(user) have read/write.

this is the folder hierarchy PUBLIC---subfolder test(folder)

my question is why???

• Offizieller Beitrag

What is OTHERS? Can you post a screenshot?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That only changes the permissions on the folder because you don't have recursive checked. I would change access in Privileges first before ACL.

• Done in changing all permission in privileges and yes login is now working but
    sad to say i can't access the folder.designated to test3(my test user) in it's home directory.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That is when you want to use ACL and check Read/Write box on top (not Extra Options) for that user.

• yah i get your point but i did follow your instruction
    carefully and still i couldn't traverse in shared folder.
    i put read-only in the Homefolder(and thankfully i can access the home folder),
    i use the acl to prevent other user like in my situation user1 and user2 couldn't
    access user3 folder and acl do it's task swiftly. But as i enter user3 credential

whoah i dont have the access! i'm restricted by the way my test environment is Win XP Sp3.

is there an issue regards to win Xp as test environment?

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, XP is fine. I would delete the share and start over. You shouldn't need to use ACLs in this case. Privileges should do everything you need.

• Hi ryecoaaron,

It's about time to close this thread. as your advice
    then i would probably start over again. I'm happy in this
    community for the effort they invested to us. And i'm still
    looking forward for the development of this soft.

i will make a feedback once i made it. thanks!

• If you read through this thread it should help you to understand privileges better:

http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2652

Also, in OMV when you create a shared folder in OMV it sets the chown and chmod for that folder depending on what you choose in the dropdown. Once that is done you cannot edit the chown and chmod in the web-gui. So if you you decided to change the access to the folder you will need to use command line. Or delete the folder in the web-gui and create a new one. That thread should help you a lot. It takes time to understand privileges but once you do you will hardly, if ever, use acl again, at least in the home/soho setting.

Good Luck!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!