SMART error (CurrentPendingSector) detected on host: server

• Hey Guys,

i got this mail from my NAS today:

What does it mean? What i have to do now?

OMV - 3.2 backport kernel - Intel Atom D525 - Zotac NM10-DTX - 4gb Ram - 3 TB Wd Red

• Buy a new drive. Copy Data from the old one to the new one. Throw the old one into the trash. <- ASAP

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• One answer that I would not have expected. -.- What is this error and how does it happen? Is it my system drive or my data drive?

I have a backup of the data on another identical hard drive. Should initially suffice as a backup, right?

What a drive would you recommend? What do you think of the WD 3TB RED?
    Can it use the spin-down options?

OMV - 3.2 backport kernel - Intel Atom D525 - Zotac NM10-DTX - 4gb Ram - 3 TB Wd Red

• Erm, let me look up how to identify the drive (need to check how to identify drive by id). Maybe give me the output of "blkid" from the commandline, thx.

Backup on a second drive should be fine for the moment. However just as a suggestion and if you like your data. What would you do if your get some overwaltage, fire or flooding? Then even your backup in your PC could be damaged. Maybe thing about an external backup. But thats just a suggestion, with an internal Backup you show that you care more than the average person about your data.

I would totally recommend the WD RED, I personally have the 3TB edition, they are so damn quiet. Depending on how much data you would plan to store I would suggest the 4TB version. Can't tell about the spindown options, I simply don't use them and also prevent my drives from spinning down because I grab smart every 3 minutes (temp). Also the WD RED are designed to be used as 24/7 drives. No need to spindown them, at least not if you want to save electricity.

Edit: Ah, dev by id should be your serialnumber. So look for that Serialnumber in the Webinterface of OMV in the hard drive section, the OS drive is shown unter physical drives too.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thank you!

That's the output:

Code
    root@192.168.178.2's password: 
    root@server:~# blkid
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="TimeMachine" UUID="7d257ec6-663e-4f38-9e20-3421eb1da779" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda1: UUID="8d252bb8-1115-4241-894d-beca92a9b81d" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sda5: UUID="1ec07ae5-96be-4cb5-ae7f-e75f86b0c970" TYPE="swap" 
    root@server:~#

Oh the Backup drive isn't inside the OMV. It is an external drive, also 1.5 TB SAMSUNG HD154UI, which ins't connected the whole time to OMV.

I need to figure out how the spin down options works to save electricity. Isn't there an option in SMART to prevent the drive to spin up, if it's in standby?

Could the error occur, because the drive often spin up?

• Yes, parking the heads often is the worst thing you can do to shorten the life span of your drives. Way worse than running cheap desktop drives 24/7. As I said, you may wait if someone comments on the spindown options of the REDs or look it up on google, I simply don't use it, I rather shutdown the whole system after I no longer use it. But inbetween I don't spindown....

As I said, should look in the webinterface for "wwn-0x50024e92013373d4" as the serial number as one of your drives.

Greetings
    David

• Erm, this could be possible, would you mind to check it?

Greetings
    David

• Give me the output of the following command:

Code
    ls -la /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50024e92013373d4

Greetings
    David

• Here it is:

Code
    root@192.168.178.2's password: 
    root@server:~# ls -la /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50024e92013373d4
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 20. Nov 17:30 /dev/disk/by-id/wwn-0x50024e92013373d4 -> ../../sdb
    root@server:~#

Seems that it is my data drive, right?

• If you didn't reboot and your UUID <-> /dev/device mapping is still the same then it should be

Zitat

/dev/sdb1: LABEL="TimeMachine" UUID="7d257ec6-663e-4f38-9e20-3421eb1da779" TYPE="ext4"

Greetings
    David

• Glad I could help you ;)

Greetings
    David

• I got similar Current Pending Sector email and would like to replace my problem drive. Can someone advise what the best practice is to replace a data drive, my system has no RAID. Should it be like this?

1. Copy the data to the new drive
    2. Uninstall samba, shared folders of problem drive
    3. Reinstall samba, shared folders on new drive

Thanks.

• Do like you suggested yourself above. Use rsync to copy them over.

Greetings
    David

• every day i receiving a message like this:

notting changes day to day - 1 pending + 1 offline, smart messaging is disabled, monitoring is active = once a week

how to fix it?

• It resends it because there is still one pedning, at least that would be my guess. Maybe @votdev can answer better.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!