OpenMediaVault 0.6 Where are we going !

• Offizieller Beitrag

BTRFS will be implemented if it supports RAID 5/6, otherwise it will not make sense in my eyes (then it can replace MDADM and LVM). The current state of BTRFS (as shipped with Debian Wheezy) is not productive in my eyes. OMV will not use custom kernels or system components, thus we have to wait for a more stable base like hopefully Jessie.

• Why seeing BTRFS as a replacement for traditional filesystems+MADM+LVM? Couldn't OMV support it as an alternative?
    I mean, to simplify things OMV may let you use a physical device in one configuration OR (exclusive) the other.

Wheezy indeed still uses an old 3.2 kernel version and I don't know what's the state of btrfs there. The experiments I did with a 3.11 kernel based Linux Mint were very satisfactory for RAID-1 (mirror) configurations.

• Well I don't think that a package from backports would be a custom package, therefore we could simply use the 3.14 kernel.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Regarding ZFS suppport

What about using Debian kFreeBSD as a base? Interesting to see Debian offering a version using FreeBSD kernel.

or is it just better to work with ZFSonLinux now that project is in full swing, not sure if stability would be better either way.

• The ZFS Plugin has progressed far with ZFSonLinux. As far as I know most coding is already finished, so maybe its not too far away anymore.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backend is done but some of the frontend still needs to be implemented.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What really gets me is how little info/press that OMV gets.

I'd love to invite you to help put that rights. The Linux Action Show via Linux Unplugged will be reviewing OMV thanks to my request here http://www.reddit.com/r/LinuxA…ed_distro_review_request/

I don't know enough to detail to really put forth a fair assessment as part of the review team atm. I want as many OMV advocates as possible to get involved in this. Not only to help me understand more but also to get OMV 'out there'.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I responded to your other post. Lets start a question and answer session on that thread :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!