phpVirtualbox Guest "savestate" | OMV Shutdown

• Hello All,
    I just playing in the moment with the great OMV 5, it is a very powerful solution! :mrgreen:

In the moment I installed 2 Plugins, the Autoshutdown and Virtualbox.
    I have now in the moment a guest (win2k12r2) running, the guest starts automatic after OMV starts,
    but my bigger problem are, if I shutdown the OMV host, the guest didn't shutdown or go into savestate.
    I will prefer "savestate".

I look a little bit around other forums to find a solution but nothing really working, maybe some know a
    solution or have the same constellation?

Thank you all,
    PD

• Offizieller Beitrag

It shouldn't be any different between .4 and .5. The vboxdrv init script that comes with virtualbox should stop the VMs on shutdown. Did you install the guest tools (virtualbox extensions) in the guest machine?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,
    yes I install the guest tools on the guest maschine. Really strange, but what I now find out now is, that sometime it work and sometimes not.
    If it work, the guest maschine comes up with the savestate. In the other case it, I boot up the OMV, the guest said me it was not clean shutdown and this looks important I cannot access anymore the Webpage of the phpVirtualbox, I get back the 127.0.0.1:18083 is not reachable and in the guest the Vbox Service running with full CPU usage.
    It looks like very strange.
    Maybe I should try with a new installation and see what happen.

• I re-install the OMV .5 new and make my tests, it was not positive. It looks like the Virtualbox version is not fully supporting the W2k12R2 Version with the Guest Tools 4.2.20, it is not possible to get the guest to 100% into "save state".
    However, I test it with a W2k12 Guest Machine and it looks like to work, 1 time in the Guest the VBoxService took 50% CPU time (2 core machine), it help to restart the service in windows. I will test also Win 8.1 and Win 7. Come back with a Report.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe virtualbox 4.3 will fix that. I am going to try and update the plugin in the next couple of days.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just out of curiosity, does the following shutdown the guest properly:

/etc/init.d/vboxdrv stop

• For me the provided init script didnt work aswell. So I put sudo -u VMUSER /usr/bin/VBoxManage controlvm YOURVMNAME savestate in /etc/vboxautostart-service

works fine for me

• I know its old stuff, but i got the same problem.

Until i did add the suggestion from

Code
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv

(right after the stop() section)

Code
    SHUTDOWN_USERS="vbox"
    SHUTDOWN=acpibutton

to file

Code
    /etc/default/virtualbox

well, now the command

Code
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv stop

shuts down all VMs.

But on host shutdown with

Code
    shutdown -h now

(or any other time condition) the VMs doing something else, there is no entry in the syslog of the machine. the VMs dont complain about anything, but im not comfortable.

I mainly want to shut them down to take a rsync backup dring the midnight hours from my prcissios VMs like my Database servers.

Also i would like to find any command to restart all "auto start" VMs without naming them manually.

Code
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start

did not work for that.

Im open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Regards
    Manne

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!