[Tutorial] GreyHole Plugin Guide/Drive Pooling in OMV

• Damn you tekkbebe, I was supposed to start doing some house work until I saw this.

Great work Ryeco and all the others involved.

ps - my script installs MySQL with the default password '1234'

[align=center]banner@1x.jpg
    What I am watching/watched on my Popcorn Hour media player
    omv 2.1.1 stoneburner | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 1.29
    MySQL (Percona[size=8]) | Newznab | Sonarr | CP | HP | NZBget | YAMJ | CUPS

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "sebak"

I currently have OMV 0.3 with the greyhole plugin from back then. What do I need to do to upgrade to 0.5 with the new greyhole plugin?

Unfortunately, the settings in config.xml changed a little. If you set it up the same, it should produce the same greyhole.conf you have before. I don't think anyone has tried this procedure. I would backup your OS drive with clonezilla before trying.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

"jhmiller"ps - my script installs MySQL with the default password '1234'

Luckily, they don't have to change that password. They can just enter it into the mysql root password field :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Both MySQL and greyhole plugins have been installed and are working good, I did get an error during the install of greyhole, followed the error section from your guide and then greyhole installed with out error.

Thanks again to all those involved.

[align=center]banner@1x.jpg
    What I am watching/watched on my Popcorn Hour media player
    omv 2.1.1 stoneburner | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 1.29
    MySQL (Percona[size=8]) | Newznab | Sonarr | CP | HP | NZBget | YAMJ | CUPS

• Hi,

Thanks for the guide, I've followed all the steps and added my 4 drives to pool and then added my 4 SMB shares (named media1, media2, media3,media4 on each drive respectively).
    My question is now what? How do I set up a SMB share for the pool so that I can connect to it from Windows 7 and so that I can share the media to my Mede8er media player?

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is a pool checkbox on the bottom of the Greyhole settings tab.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

There is a pool checkbox on the bottom of the Greyhole settings tab.

I don't see a pool checkbox on my setting tab. But I do see that each of my shares now show 10.9Gb in Windows, so I assume I just use any one of those and Greyhole manages the pooling "behind the scenes", i.e. there isn't a pooled folder to share I just use one of my original shares which now has access to everything?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You need to update your greyhole plugin (0.5.17 is the latest) if you don't see the "Enable Pool" checkbox on the Settings tab. When you check it, you can enter the samba share name.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You need to update your greyhole plugin (0.5.17 is the latest) if you don't see the "Enable Pool" checkbox on the Settings tab. When you check it, you can enter the samba share name.

My greyhole plugin is 0.5.4; but I don't think my question was clear, I was asking how to share the pool as opposed to individual shares, I thought there would be a new folder/share I would need to add to SMB and mount/map that in Windows but mapping my existing share, media1, did the trick and it appears as a large 10Gb drive (I have 4x3Gb drives) so to access the pool I just map one of the original shares, not create a new "greyhole" share. Is that correct?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oops, I was mixing up greyhole and snapraid :oops: Not enough sleep last night!

• Carnajo, it's really nice. Say you have a media folder. It will not get full til all the disks are full. Greyhole moves the files to all disks, whichever has most room and balances between them, in the pool and just leaves the symlink in place of the original. You don't have to create new folders on other drives or make symlinks yourself to the newer movies or other media. Greyhole does it all for you.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Carnajo, it's really nice. Say you have a media folder. It will not get full til all the disks are full. Greyhole moves the files to all disks, whichever has most room and balances between them, in the pool and just leaves the symlink in place of the original. You don't have to create new folders on other drives or make symlinks yourself to the newer movies or other media. Greyhole does it all for you.

Thanks, I understand it better now, I thought the pool itself would be a new share which linked to the other shares.
    Thanks for all the help guys, busy learning about debian while I am going about this, might try getting snapraid + greyhole to work together at some later point

• I used to run greyhole in 0.3. I uninstalled the plugin before upgrading to 0.5 (although the greyhole service itself is still active).
    The installation of the new greyhole plugin in OMV 0.5 froze (when it was installing php-int or something). After rebooting, there is a greyhole section in the OMV menu, but it doesn't work. It gives me this error:

Code
    rror #3003:
    exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to get configuration (xpath=//services/greyhole)' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/greyhole.inc:77
    Stack trace:
    #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceGreyhole->getSettings(NULL, Array)
    #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(62): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('getSettings', NULL, Array)
    #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(495): OMVRpc::exec('Greyhole', 'getSettings', NULL, Array, 1)
    #4 {main}

Also, the plugin is not marked as installed in the plugins overview, and when I try to install it, I get this:

Code
    Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.

But nothing seems to happen...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!