[Tutorial] GreyHole Plugin Guide/Drive Pooling in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn't change anything in the plugin that should make it act any different :)

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Both.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I can't set both. It is either 0.5 OR 1.0.
    Do we need a Label "OMV 0.5 and above" at least for the Guides? This Label should be only available for Mods.
    I already suggested it here: New Forum: We need some Labels (Version-No.) as kind of prefix.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Go with 1.0 then. The 0.5 plugins won't be updated anymore.

• I got a question about balancing, well a few questions / issues i'm having.

I tried greyhole in a virtualbox (TESTING ENVIRONMENT, SEPARATE MACHINE) with 2x4TB drives. Added files to the share that is in the pool and greyhole balanced the files to both drives.

Now I am using Greyhole on an actual system also with 2x4TB drives, But one of the drives that are in the pool is 42% full and the second drive in the pool is 0% full. When I click on "file balance" nothing seems to happen". I have the "Share" set-up to make "2" copies of the files.

On windows7 I mapped the share from the OMV pool, and it is showing the value of both drives that are in the pool as one which is 7.16 TB.

So when the 1st drive gets full will it fill up the second one? Also How long will it take for greyhole to balance the files?
    I don't think that anything seems to be going on, I cant seem to get this to work, could some one help me out?

*something strange I can't seem to fix*
    in OMBwebUI under Services, Greyhole is Enabled but under "running" it has a Redlight instead of green. In virtualbox I had the same issue, I reinstalled OMV the 32bit version and 64bit version, like 10x each and followed this tutorial all times, and that light is always red, starts of green, but after a re-boot it goes red.

when I ssh into the machine via putty and do a "service greyhole status" command from the terminal it says greyhole is running, can't seem to figure out whats going on

any help is appreciated and thanks in Advance

• Now I am using Greyhole on an actual system also with 2x4TB drives, But one of the drives that are in the pool is 42% full and the second drive in the pool is 0% full. When I click on "file balance" nothing seems to happen". I have the "Share" set-up to make "2" copies of the files.

Two copies with 2 drives? You have to set copies to 1 then. Not sure why it isn't balancing.

in OMBwebUI under Services, Greyhole is Enabled but under "running" it has a Redlight instead of green. In virtualbox I had the same issue, I reinstalled OMV the 32bit version and 64bit version, like 10x each and followed this tutorial all times, and that light is always red, starts of green, but after a re-boot it goes red.

when I ssh into the machine via putty and do a "service greyhole status" command from the terminal it says greyhole is running, can't seem to figure out whats going on

The green LED is only showing if OpenMediaVault detects the PID file of the service. Maybe it isn't creating the PID file correctly after a reboot.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Two copies with 2 drives? You have to set copies to 1 then. Not sure why it isn't balancing.

I thought if I wanted backups I put in a second drive and put in "2" to make 1 extra copy of each file... Ok so If I put "1" but have 2 drives, it will just balance it, but I wont have the backups right? was kinda hoping I could get backups

The green LED is only showing if OpenMediaVault detects the PID file of the service. Maybe it isn't creating the PID file correctly after a reboot.

ok, so that red light isn't nothing to worry about right?

*Edit*

Ok so I set it back to "1" under the samba shares the # of copies, Reboot omv, and the balancing still not working

• I thought if I wanted backups I put in a second drive and put in "2" to make 1 extra copy of each file... Ok so If I put "1" but have 2 drives, it will just balance it, but I wont have the backups right?

Its the number of copies that will be generated, adding to the source file, thus 1 copy makes 2 files.

But may I ask why you use Greyhole? If you want a simple backup? Use rsync or RAID1 instead. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Its the number of copies that will be generated, adding to the source file, thus 1 copy makes 2 files.

But may I ask why you use Greyhole? If you want a simple backup? Use rsync or RAID1 instead.

Greetings
    David

Oh ok I see, I actually am trying to setup Greyhole, Because I am planing on using OMV as a Fileserver, PlexMediaServer and as a PVR with SickRage/CouchPotatoe.

I was hoping I can use Greyhole on OMV as I was using a drivepooling software on windows called "StableBit Drive pool", I really hate using windows as a server. So I would like to use the greyhole feature of OMV to have many drives connected and show up as one, in case one drive fails I can just add another drive and greyhole can just rebuild...it seems simple to do with Greyhole, I mean thats what I understood greyhole is for, and that's what I'm trying to accomplish.

when I tested in virtualbox, I messed around with removing and adding new drives, and I noticed that greyhole took the files of the drive that was leaving the pool, then added it to the NEW drive I added and rebuilt on the new drive.

This is what im trying to do but on a real system.

*EDIT*

I think Im on to something, So I re-installed OMV over again and started fresh. But this time Im moving the files I need into the pool a different way.

The way I was doing it before -> I Used MC - (MidnightCommander) via SSH in putty to move the files from a separate data drive to the "Shared" folder I created that was being used as the pool of the 2 other drives in OMV.
    I figured I do it this way to copy the files over faster to the pool, since its 1.50TB of data I need to move into the pool. Was able to copy all the files from the Data drive to the Shared folder
    (But This option didn't balance though)

The way I did it just now is as a test, Im moving 60GB of data from the "Data drive " I have in OMV I made a share of it so I can access that drive on windows. I then opened the "Shared" folder which is the pool with the 2 drives (which is mapped on windows).
    Im am using windows to copy from the "data" folder I shared to the "shared" mapped folder which is the pooled 2 drives.
    (This way greyhole is balancing, but using windows to transfer files from 1 HDD to another HDD that is on OMV is taking very long over the network)

So my question is, is there a FASTER way to move the files i need into the Pool, without having to use windows to transfer it to the pool?????

• I think the problem is perms. The files moved via mc do not have correct chown.

I was able to do it. What I did was i mounted the Greyhole Share Locally in OMV, then just used MC to move the files from the Data drive to the Greyhole Share. This also helped me balance the files between the 2 drives.

This was very useful: https://github.com/gboudreau/G…e/wiki/MountSharesLocally

A mistake I made first time with greyhole when moving the files to the pool was. I moved it to -> /media/hdd_name/SHARED, But I was supposed to move it to mnt/samba/SHARED <- which is the actual pool... /media/hdd_name/SHARED kept the files on only ONE HDD, thats why it wasn't balancing for me

• Following ryecoaaron's instructions/help (thanks again, you're the best), I was able to install mysql and Greyhole. I see my pool, my shares, they report the right size, but I can't write on them:

It appears I have a permissions problem, but I configured my samba shares to be guest acessible and to allow everyone to read/write.

Any idea what's causing this? Thank you.

• Ok. I saw that the files belong to a user named mysql, and that they dont have all the permissions needed. What should I do? because, being a stripped volume, I think the files are distributed among the three volumes of my pool, so I don't know if I have to change the permissions everywhere or not. Should I change them in the .greyhole folder or in the visible-shared one?

I would really apreciate an answer, I'm a confused noob. Thanks.

• I think I found a little bug: When I enable the Trash share, save and apply the configuration, the share appears in the browse window. However when trying to open the share, I get a message saying it can't be found. After restarting the greyhole service through ssh, everything works as expected.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!