Unable to create file system on any RAID

• Hi,

I have just moved 7x 2TB Seagate Constellation disks from a broken Thecus N7700PRO NAS. I have tried to wipe the disks (because it has found an existing raid6 field), but got an error on all disks that a disk cannot be wiped (OMV v 0.525), so I could not create a new raid (I have deleted the old one first). So I went to a OMV CLI and ran parted /dev/sdx mklabel gpt on all disks. I could now wipe the disks in OMV GUI and creta a raid. When the raid creation was done (RAID 5, no spare - took about 20-24h) I tried to create a file system on this raid field. I couldn't because I cannot see any raid field in drop down selection. Then I ran parted /dev/md0 mklabel gpt and I could see the drive in the file system creation drop down menu. Is there a way to do this from GUI?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need dban. As root from local or ssh (substitute X for proper drive letter),

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=512 count=1000

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thank you for the additional info, but the point remains as there seems to be a problem with disk wiping function in OMV GUI. It doesn't do the job correctly. I tested GUI wiping on two different machines. Results are the same. External commands are needed for a successful wipe.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I just looked at the wipe procedure. It is odd that the wipe doesn't work because it does almost the same thing I recommended (just not as much zeroing).

Code
    sgdisk --zap-all
    dd if=/dev/zero of=%s bs=1M count=1

Did you pick secure or normal wipe?

I agree that it should work from the GUI. You should file a bug report since you are able to reproduce it. I was just thinking dban takes a long (maybe not??) and was offering a shorter option until it is fixed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

sgdisk --zap-all is supposed to:

Zitat

Zero out all GPT and MBR data structures. Use this option if you want to completely erase the GPT data structures so that the disk can be used as an MBR disk without concern that it might contain stray GPT data.

Combine that with zeroing the first 1M of the disk, that really should be enough to wipe a drive. It must be something in the function that lists the candidates for filesystems and raid array members.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!