Install suggestion same HDD

• Does anybody use OMV on same HDD with other data? Whats the best configuration for that? Currently I use 10G for /, 50G for /home and everything else for data because i need to have guarantees when the system disk fail. Probably home could be a bit smaller when I use symlinks to data partition.

Btw how I can expand capacity? Just simply replace one HDD in raid (1 or 5) and then click on grow button?

Thanks for help

• Huh? What Guarantees are you talking about by partitioning your OS disk?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Well i would like to have all disks in Raid 1 or Raid 5 so when 1 disk fail i can replace it with new one. When there be only one system HDD there is no backup so you need start again from start and rebuild raid again. Or did I miss anything? Thats why I split the HDD to partition like /, swap, /home and another partition for data.

• I still don't know what advantage you hope to get from partitioning your system disk, but you may want to use Clonezilla for backing up your OS drive. You'll find a howto in my signature.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Of course but what you do when the system disk die? You will go to datacenter where you replace the disk? Isnt just better use raid 1/5 and keep OS on same HDD with data? Im trying find failover scenario because replace OS drive isnt fast enough.

• Ah, you're talking about business/production environment. (Keep in mind that OMV designed for Home/SOHO/small office environments) I would install debian myself then and setup the OS disk with a raid1, but keep the data seperated on data disks.

You can then install OMV via the package repository.

Greetings
    David

• I also wanted full raid 5 for all paritions. So I installed squeeze and (its tedious) through its text level install I created 6 raid 5 partitions: (3 - 20g os partitions)

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1049kB 983GB 983GB primary ext4 raid Share data
    2 983GB 1966GB 983GB primary raid Share data
    3 1966GB 1970GB 4000MB primary raid SWAP
    4 1970GB 2000GB 30.4GB extended
    5 1970GB 1980GB 10.2GB logical boot, raid OMV
    6 1980GB 1990GB 10.1GB logical raid alternate os - linuxmint
    7 1990GB 2000GB 10.1GB logical raid alternate os - reserved

Its funny how it says 983g as its really 3 x 2g so should be 4g usable - see below:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/md0 1.8T 608G 1.1T 36% /media/230ca3fb-..
    /dev/md1 1.8T 533G 1.2T 32% /media/b56962c0-..

After I got squeeze up and running and updated I then followed the directions on the omv forum to install omv via repo.

It runs well without any problems. Apparently if you need newer hardware support you can install a backports kernel to get you up to 3.x instead of the 2.6 that omv runs. I think I swill just wait for omv 6.

I am curious to see how well wheezy supports my hardware as I would prefer to NOT run omv headless. But I did some testing and samba speed was dramatically lower if running a gui :(
    It would be very convenient to be able to browse the web from my omv instead of having to turn on my desktop..

P.S. I recall that during installs you have to (via live boot) install the mdadm and discover the partitions before you do the install otherwise it wont see them. Let me know and I can see if I took notes on what I did and send them.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you install omv-extras, there is a button to install the backports 3.2 kernel. I have it running on all of my OMV boxes and have for a long time. It is basically the same kernel that wheezy uses.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!