Install from USB deletes USB stick

• I am trying to reinstall OMV. I do this with a USB stick. But during the installation when I get to the partition bit the installation partitions the USB stick and not my HDD. I have only one HDD connected. And then I boot off the USB stick

This is the error I get.

Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use...

• That's quite weird. I did the same thing at least half a dozen times in the past two days, and never had such a problem. Both 0.4 in the past and now 0.5 asked which drive I want to use during setup (either the only one connected HDD or the USB drive), there was no automatic formatting.

• Zitat von "fonix232"

That's quite weird. I did the same thing at least half a dozen times in the past two days, and never had such a problem. Both 0.4 in the past and now 0.5 asked which drive I want to use during setup (either the only one connected HDD or the USB drive), there was no automatic formatting.

I have installed a few times before with no problem. But now it just wont work. Tried with several USB sticks an several HDDs

Its like the installation just ignores the HDD and partitions itself

• Offizieller Beitrag

In my opinion, much more of Q/A should be posted to non-specific platforms such as Stack platforms rather than private developer forums. Just my 2 cents.

Why? This forum is not a private developer forum. It is a public forum for questions, answers, whatever.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• pardon me, I meant application-dependent developer forums. There certainly exist cases in which they're appropriate but when it comes to (publicly) finding solutions to user issues that remain unsolved I think they're inappropriate.

Regarding the why, here are some benefits I miss on application-specific platforms just to name a few: up-votes and down-votes, more visible to search-engines due to large activity (and more sophisticated search options to find issues), controlled Q/A (i.e. Q/A follow strict patterns).
    -> In summary I can conclude that platforms like stackoverflow, GitHub or superuser are much more visible to me as a solution-seeking user and I will generally find solutions much more likely.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In summary I can conclude that platforms like stackoverflow, GitHub or superuser are much more visible to me as a solution-seeking user and I will generally find solutions much more likely.

You are free to keep looking there but I only have so much time. While I agree that general Linux questions are probably better answered on stackoverflow, my answering of questions will be limited to this forum. I disagree that answers are harder to find when they are in this forum because google indexes this forum just as well as stackoverflow (which is the way I find things on stackoverflow as well). We have like/dislike voting on this forum that is the same as the up/down-votes (although significantly less users). And remember that this forum is a little less scary for noobs than stackoverflow which can have a very techy feel.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I am using the latest build as of today and I'm having the same issue.
    I've unplugged my actual hard drives.
    I have a USB that I have the installer on.
    I have another USB that I want to install to.

When it gets to the step that I choose where to install to, I choose the blank USB ( without a doubt I'm choosing the right one ) and then it gives the error that "Partition(s) 1 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change" or words to that effect.

Can anyone recommend any solution?

Using a HP Reliant MicroServer.

EDIT: For anyone in the future, I simply swapped the drives over. So the installer was in a lower numbered port than the destination. It then worked. Strange but there it is.

• Like robster, I have found USB installs to very finicky. I was going to make a video on this, but decided against it. There are usually three errors you get when doing these.

I have one machine where I make the USB sticks with OMV installed. Other machines or ports threw errors. Once the file system is up, then I use OMV-firstaid to fix the networking when I move the stick on the final machine.

Sometimes, you have to delete a file once the machine is running,so you can update it, but I don't remember what is now. It's been a little while.

Once up, the USB drives have slow read and writes and some times come up with errors saying they are busy.

I have three machines that boot from USB and use the flash memory plugin.

I am moving away from using usb sticks and getting cheap SSDs.

I bought some of these SSDs. They work fine.

• To add to this, in the end after even more troubles that occurred after my above post I burned the OMV ISO to a DVD and used that to install from and installed to a USB stick and it's been fine ever since. It's an option if you have that ability (DVD). Hope that helps.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!