[RESOLVE] DNS out

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [RESOLVE] DNS out

Hi everybody,

I think my OMV 0.4 DNS doesn't work but i don't know why.

I check ISP DNS IP, i try Google DNS IP to check ( 8.8.8.8 ) but no change.

I can't do no update, no plugin installation or migrate to OMV5.

For exemple, i've got this to plugin installation :

WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
      libupsclient1 nut openmediavault-nut
      Authentication warning overridden.
      Err packages.openmediavault.org/public/ fedaykin/main openmediavault-nut all 0.4.4
      Something wicked happened resolving 'packages.openmediavault.org:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
      Err ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/ squeeze/main libupsclient1 amd64 2.4.3-1.1squeeze2
      Something wicked happened resolving 'ftp.fr.debian.org:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
      Err security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main libupsclient1 amd64 2.4.3-1.1squeeze2
      Something wicked happened resolving 'security.debian.org:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
      Err security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main nut amd64 2.4.3-1.1squeeze2
      Something wicked happened resolving 'security.debian.org:http' (-5 - No address associated with hostname)
      etc...

When i tried "ipconfig /flushdns" in putty, i've got this messages :

error fetching interface information: Device not found

I've got no answer when i do a ping to a website (ping: unknown host .....)

My OMV version is 0.4.38.
      i've got a second OMV in 0.5 version with the them DNS IP ans no problem for it.

Thanks.
    • Re: [RESOLVE] DNS out

@tekkbabe
      Yes, i've set my DNS server (address of my router/gateway, that handles requests over to the real DNS of my ISP).

This problem follows other problems:

A few weeks ago i replaced my HP N40L with a N54L. Of course the new machines onboard-NIC has a different MAC-adress. So when i booted the new machine with the old disks, the system switched the name of the NIC from eth0 to eth1. That causes missing network-traffic graphs in systeminfo (at least i thought, that this was the reason). So i searched for solutions to change the networkinterface name back to eth0. I found the following method: in etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules i commented out the line that describes the former NIC (recognizable by its MAC), and changed the new NICs name in the next line from eth1 to eth0. After reboot and a new configuration with omv-firstaid in the cli and after login in the Weg-GUI i had my eth0 back and nearly all went fine; there were still sad smilies instead of network-graphs in system info.

Because i found out, that other (not all) graphs were also not renewed, i followed a suggestion of Volker that i found in another thread, and deleted the *.rrd files - with no success...

Later on, when i tried to install the support-info-plugin i found out, that my machine couldn't connect to the internet, because it couldn't find any DNS-Server for address resolution.

Any ideas, how to fix my two problems (DNS and not working rrd)?

BR

Jan

Delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules completely and reboot your system.

Now you should automaticcaly have a fresh new eth0 device. Check if ifconfig is outputting it correctly.

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
      #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
      Absolutely no Support via PM!

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.

"davidh2k" wrote:

Delete the file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules completely and reboot your system.

Now you should automaticcaly have a fresh new eth0 device. Check if ifconfig is outputting it correctly.

Greetings
      David

I did it and ifconfig shows me eth0 and lo correctly - but no DNS: resolv.conf is empty again...

Trotzdem Danke... ;)

Jan

Huh... what kind of router do you have? Maybe its no sending the DNS entry correctly while giving your OpenMediaVault an answer to its DHCP request.

Did you now check again if DNS is setup within the WebGUI for eth0?

Primary: IP of your Router
      Secondary: 8.8.8.8

Greetings
      David
      "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I host parts of the omv-extras.org Repository, the OpenMediaVault Live Demo and the pre-built PXE Images. If you want you can take part and help covering the costs by having a look at my profile page.

"davidh2k" wrote:

Huh... what kind of router do you have? Maybe its no sending the DNS entry correctly while giving your OpenMediaVault an answer to its DHCP request.

Did you now check again if DNS is setup within the WebGUI for eth0?

Primary: IP of your Router
      Secondary: 8.8.8.8

Greetings
      David

I use a Fritzbox, and yes, i checked the DNS-entry in the Web-GUI: all fine...
      The problem is deeper...

BR
      Jan

He has already done that.

@Jan, do you have dnsutils installed? Or can you still install it?

If so

Source Code

1. apt-get install dnsutils
      2. nslookup fritz.box

If not, whats the output of

Source Code

1. cat /etc/hosts
      2. cat /etc/resolve.conf

Greetings
      David

"JanN" wrote:

"davidh2k" wrote:

Greetings
      David

I did it and ifconfig shows me eth0 and lo correctly - but no DNS: resolv.conf is empty again...

Trotzdem Danke... ;)

Jan

Of course he did....

Greetings
      David

"JanN" wrote:

I found the following method: in etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules i commented out the line that describes the former NIC (recognizable by its MAC), and changed the new NICs name in the next line from eth1 to eth0. After reboot and a new configuration with omv-firstaid in the cli and after login in the Weg-GUI i had my eth0 back and nearly all went fine; there were still sad smilies instead of network-graphs in system info.

Ah, I looked at the another post.

"davidh2k" wrote:

He has already done that.

You are really great men, always fighting for the truth :mrgreen:

"davidh2k" wrote:

@Jan, do you have dnsutils installed? Or can you still install it?

Source Code

1. nslookup fritz.box

Yes, i can ;)

Source Code

1. root@JNSERVER2:~# nslookup fritz.box
      2. Server: 192.168.151.1
      3. Address: 192.168.151.1#53
      4. Name: fritz.box
      5. Address: 192.168.151.1

What is this "'#53"?

And the others:

Source Code

1. root@JNSERVER2:~# cat /etc/hosts
      2. # This configuration file is auto-generated.
      3. # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will be lost.
      4. 127.0.0.1 localhost
      5. 127.0.1.1 JNSERVER2.local JNSERVER2
      6. # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
      7. ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
      8. fe00::0 ip6-localnet
      9. ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
      10. ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
      11. ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
      12. ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
      13. 192.168.151.4 JNSERVER2.local JNSERVER2
      Display All

Source Code

1. root@JNSERVER2:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
      2. # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
      3. ..# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN.
      4. search fritz.box
      5. nameserver 192.168.151.1

resolv.conf was the one i edited by hand and added the last two lines; without them there is no connection to the internet...

BR

Jan

Erm, to compare your data to mine (I have a fritz.box too)

Source Code

1. root@chap:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
      2. # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
      3. # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
      4. nameserver 127.0.0.1
      5. search fritz.box
      6. root@chap:~# cat /etc/hosts
      7. # This configuration file is auto-generated.
      8. # WARNING: Do not edit this file, your changes will be lost.
      9. 127.0.0.1 localhost
      10. 127.0.1.1 chap
      11. # The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
      12. ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
      13. fe00::0 ip6-localnet
      14. ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
      15. ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
      16. ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
      17. ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
      18. chap
      19. 192.168.178.11 chap
      20. root@chap:~#
      Display All

Greetings
      David

@davidh2k
      In the meantime i found this this thread: forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=486

I followed Volkers suggestion and executed

Source Code

1. dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=noninteractive resolvconf

and rebooted the system.

After that resolv.conf changed to

Source Code

1. # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
      2. # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
      3. nameserver 192.168.151.1
      4. nameserver 8.8.8.8

That looks much better than before - and let your resolv.conf look wrong too...

Thanks and good night
      Jan

Hmm... Works for me allright. :lol:

But nice that the problem is solved.

Greetings
      David