I need some chassis opinions

• Now that km says it, I never been so pissed off at a case as a Lian Li. One case pissed me off so bad I will never buy their cases again. If you pay a premium for a case it better be perfect.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well.. I bit the bullet yesterday and finished buying the stuff for my new NAS
    It will be:

Fractal Design Node 304(black) -- I debated long and hard on this. Ultimately, I decided a hotswap bay was not that important, as backing up the NAS to USB is not that difficult. Once I ruled out needing hotswap or a 5.25bay, the choice became a lot easier. It took me a day or so to decide between black and white, before I settled on black.

SilverStone ST45SF-G (450w) -- This is my biggest concern, whether it's going to be quiet enough. The reviews say yes, but we shall see.

Asus P8H77-I -- This ended up being the steal of the build, as I got it on clearance locally for $60![Reg. 99.99]

Celeron G1620 (2.7ghz) -- My buddy is convinced this is "under powered". Considering I've been running my NAS rather swimmingly on a slower AMD processor, I think it will be fine.

8gigs 1066 RAM (Crucial). -- This RAM was in my old NAS and will be reused. The old NAS (which will become the family room/guest PC) will get a RAM upgrade when this project is done.

I'm only moving 2 drives (well 3 if you count the OS drive) from the old NAS to the new one.. and I'll probably order a couple more hard drives at a later date. As it stands, I have plenty of storage(4tb).

I'm hoping to have the rest of it (case and PSU) by Thur so I can do the build on Friday morning, then give it a good burning in next weekend, since it's supposed to be balls freezing cold. I just hope I didn't procrastinate so long, I end up disappointed...lol.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tomekk"

Check this out ! http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area=en

Silverstone DS380, 8 hot-swap bays mini-ITX chassis

I saw that on overclockers.net. It certainly would have met all my criteria. Only negative about that case was 1. It isn't really available yet 2. Price. Although I couldn't find a US price, I saw several posts on various forums saying it was running about $140 Euro, which would put it around $190 US (if I could find it), and that is w/o a power supply. So the build would have pushed $300 just for the case and power supply. While I could afford it, I just would have had a little trouble (mentally) plunking down that much coin on this project. Another thing, while I would have liked to have 1 or 2 hot swap bays, 8 would be major overkill. So while I did give that case some consideration at the very end of the process (as I just found out about it about 4-5 days ago)... It didn't last long because for me, the negatives outweighed the positives.

Hopefully though, the DS380 results in some quality NAS cases hitting the market. Other than it's current cost/availability,it is perfect in size and features for a home NAS.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tomekk"

Check this out ! http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=452&area=en

Silverstone DS380, 8 hot-swap bays mini-ITX chassis

Very nice. I really like Silverstone cases.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "KM0201"

I'm hoping to have the rest of it (case and PSU) by Thur so I can do the build on Friday morning, then give it a good burning in next weekend, since it's supposed to be balls freezing cold. I just hope I didn't procrastinate so long, I end up disappointed...lol.

We will need pics asap :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!