slow transfer speeds with greyhole

• Hello All,

I have installed OMV with 4 harddrives. They are formatted as ext4 and I'm using greyhole. I tried transferring files to/from my notebook to NAS via my router. Short cable runs of 6' each. My read/write speed is 11 MB/s. Unfortunately I didn't test out transfer speeds before installing greyhole, so I don't know if it affects things or not.

Any ideas on why my transfers are slow, or things I can test out?

thanks

• Please check your network connection on your notebook. Go into the status an check if it shows 100mbit or 1gbit.

If it shows 100mbit which I would assume here check your router for energy saving options which lower the speed on some network ports.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hehe, despite the fact your systems are capable of gbit it could be that something throttles them to a lower speed. Thats what I thought could be your problem, and in fact it is ^^.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I thought I would jump on this topic because I am having the same issue. I am averaging about 8-9MB/sec with Greyhole. SnapRAID underneath (no pooling enabled, only for parity, so I assume has no impact in this situation), greyhole for pooling only (only 1 copy per file). I have entirely gigabit NICs, cables, and a brand new 802.11ac gigabit router. Any ideas how to figure out where to begin? I am doing my transfers from an iMac. I have disabled have considered disabling creation of .ds_store files. However, .ds_store is excluded from snapraid for parity check.

• OSX 10.9.1 on the other side.

OMV 0.5.3 with Gigabyte DGE 530T PCI external card to get away from my built in Realtek onboard gigabit card. I just tried to install backport kernel and now I cannot access my OMV at all (ping/web gui/ssh), even though it appears to successfully load on the server with monitor attached (so I can see the loading process).

• New update - 50MB/sec with AFP (obviously its not managed by greyhole via AFP)

I use a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 with full gigabit wan/lan ports. both are direct connected via ethernet. iMac via cat5e and the OMV server is via Cat6. Router sees them both as gigabit connections.

• Next update - non-greyhole pool'd share over SMB gets 50-65MB/sec to the same drive as when I only get around 8-12mb via greyhole'd SMB share.

--wondering if I should just try AUFS. Seems harder to setup, but I heard its quick and it may be a better fit?

• AUFS install was pretty easy once I figured out what the binding part meant and that I needed to create a SMB share to the bind'ed share....
    ANYWAYS... AUFS runs great at 50-80 MB/sec. Guess I'll just go that way and that way I don't need Greyhole or MySQL to run. So, sort of solved.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!