ARM and OMV - What do I have to know?

• Hey Guys!
    (BTW: Do we have women on board?)

Maybe you know, that I love OMV :mrgreen: but don't want to see my server in the internet. So I'm searching a nice hardware-idea to get OMV up and running with connection to the web. I have not made a decision now, but...

...the german PC-Mag c't has build a "Home-Cloud and NAS-Solution" (Link is working earliest on saturday!) with a Cubietruck. For this device, there is Cubian (Debian), Fedora, Lubunu and Android available.

I have not read the article now, but the magazine is laying in front of me. So I'll setup a pot of tea, grab some cookies and read the article. Maybe you can give me hints for OMV and ARM.

THX!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most of the arm boards (i have a lot of them - Rpi, cubieboard, imx6, beaglebone black, cubox-i coming, pogoplug, various small NAS, etc) run wheezy and the OS is installed on flash. OMV 0.6 will fix the wheezy part but the flash part is still an issue. Once omv 0.6 is out, I will probably start trying omv on them again.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What do you mean by "flash issue"? Okay, the board hat 4GB Flash-RAM. But Cubian is small enough to get into that ram. Am I missing something? (I would be new to ARM-Boards, so please explain a little more... ;) )

• Offizieller Beitrag

The flash is the equivalent of installing OMV on a usb stick except if you kill this flash, the board is a paperweight :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Oh, okay. Hmm, I've thought, USB-Thumbdrives are using different flashtypes than SSD or those tiny boards?! :/ Why is debian so "deadly" to those things?

Hmm, they writing about ArkOS - this on is new to me...

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "Dennis"

Why is debian so "deadly" to those things?

Debian and mainly OMV do a lot of logging which is a lot of writes.

It is possibly to mount the highly used directories on a usb hard drive/ssd on most of those devices.

• The Problem isn't the write cycles but rather the missing garbage collection / trim which spreads writes over all cells and not just onto the same ones as done on normal flash drives.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I have done several different tests on my RPi's and Cubieboards. The latest long term test on my Cubieboard was ahving it running Cubian a Wheezy with iRedMail mailserver installed. It booted from the internal Nand and used a ssd as systemdrive. After 4 months of continuous uptime i took it down because i needed the SSD for an other projekt.
    My conclusion is that if you setup such small arm units up and use the nand and an external disk you can have very stable system and power efficient.

At full CPU throttle and disk activity the combo used 3,5 watts on the primary supply. At idle it used 1,8 watts.

When OMV is released on Wheezy i might be building a small power efficient nas with a cubieboard and a my 1T seagate 2,5" drive.

• Because he is lazy like a sloth...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

How about:

CuBox-i2Ultra here - has esata port and runs squeeze (armel only) and wheezy link
    Docking station here

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!