Windows 7 Can't Connect to Share

• I've been trying to set up OMV 5 for the past couple of days, but I'm hitting a big snag with Windows 7 comps on the network talking to the NAS box. Things seem to *almost* work, but just not quite. I'm at a loss at this point, so I documented what I've done and put it in an imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/rcbkM

Also, I've logged in to the box directly and checked the permissions on the 'Storage' folder in /media/<uuid>, it is indeed 777, with root:users.

The other wierd thing is that SSH doesn't work (client shows connection refused), *even though it is enabled in the GUI, and even after a system restart...what the heck?!?!* So frustrating...

Any help at all is utterly appreciated, I'm at my wits end here :(

• Did you try rebooting your OMV? Then did you try rebooting your router and switches on your network, unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in. I got feeling this is locked up router or switch. Try that first then we try some other things.

You can give me results of this:
    change directory to where your shared folder is located 1 level above it so you can list it.
    cd /media/uuid/
    ls -la public

• Is your user you try to login to OMV via ssh in the ssh group?

Or do you try to login via root? - If yes, you have to check this in the ssh settings and then type in the password you entered via the installation (not the WebUI password!)

• Zitat

Is your user you try to login to OMV via ssh in the ssh group?

Or do you try to login via root? - If yes, you have to check this in the ssh settings and then type in the password you entered via the installation (not the WebUI password!)

I was trying to log in via root (but putty would give a connection refused error before ever prompting me for user name. I did try to set username in the options of putty to root, no change). And indeed, I enabled ssh via root. I even added root to the ssh group as per your suggestion, no go there. Maybe I should try on a different user eh?

Zitat

Did you try rebooting your OMV? Then did you try rebooting your router and switches on your network, unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in. I got feeling this is locked up router or switch. Try that first then we try some other things.

I'll give everything a quick powercycle here in a bit and let you know.

Zitat

You can give me results of this:
    change directory to where your shared folder is located 1 level above it so you can list it.
    cd /media/uuid/
    ls -la public

Thats just the thing, there is no 'public' folder (see my imgur album). There is a 'Storage' folder though (which seems right - I made a shared folder called 'Storage', but the *user* is named 'public'). The *totally wierd* part about all this is how windows tries to show a share called 'public' when logging in (again, refer to the imgur album to see what I'm talking about).

Anyway, since I can't ssh to the box, its hard to copy output. I can tell you that the /media/uuid/Storage folder has 777+ permissions on it though, with ownership root:users.

Thats

• Zitat

Did you try rebooting your OMV? Then did you try rebooting your router and switches on your network, unplug for 10 seconds and plug back in. I got feeling this is locked up router or switch. Try that first then we try some other things.

Officially gave this a shot just now and no change in behavior from the original post I made. Seems reasonable - looks like the windows pcs can connect, but they just aren't quite behaving right. When I type in creds for the user 'public', it seems to try to connect to the *share* named public in windows...super wierd.

For the record, here is what the SMB status looks like after I connect with the public user (PC name is Pink-PC, as you can see :P)

• Here is the result:

http://imgur.com/szFvMzE

As you can see, I also ran your recommended command. No change in behavior (still same as in imgur album, logging in as 'public' user works, but shows a public share - no idea why).

If I try to connect to the 'Storage' share directly, It doesn't seem to work:

http://imgur.com/B3Xy0YX

I wonder if the user name choice of 'public' is actually a reserved word in some system and is causing issues. Or I wonder if I name the share the same as the user, then things might work.

Full disclosure here - I'm running the OS itself off of a USB stick. I know its not recommended, but its my most feasible solution for now until I get a small ssd or hdd to replace it. Could that be causing these issues?

• You should not have to login to the share just to see it. Being that it is public you should just enter the share.

I am looking this over a bit.

Why does the share say "public"????

Did you try to access via network icon, then your omv host ????

• I created a public share. It worked right away but I clicked on Network icon, then the host machine and then the share. It worked right away. Now I'm looking over how you are accessing it.

Worked perfect in this format:

\\192.168.1.x\Storage\ (where x is last digit in address of OMV)

You messed to much with default settings I think. I would delete the SMB/CIFS share and then the shared folder.
    User I doubt is problem.
    Click on Shared folder
    click on Add
    Select Volume
    Put name in top field
    Press Tab and the Path field will be auto populated.
    Drop down the permissions box and choose one of the last 2 choices (Everyone read/write if that is what you want).
    Click on savre.

To create public network share click on SMB/CIFS (I'm assuming SAMBA server is running already). i think you had time server enable u don't need it.
    Click on Shares TAB
    Click on Add
    Put name in name field
    Drop down combo box and choose shared folder you created.
    Put check in public.
    Click on save and apply.

PS- to figure out if this is client machine issue or lan issue you can install an app called SharesFinder on an Android cell phone. With it you can search your lan, if you are connected via wifi, for shared folders. Tap on scan. It will find network devices on your LAN. Then tap on your OMV that showed up in the list. It will pull up menu that has SMB, WEB and FTP. Press SMB. Then it will pull up shared folders on your OMV. If this works you have to suspect something with your machine you are using to connect. If you cannot connect to you OMV with SharesFinder you have some type of problem on your LAN (router issue or something ).

PPS- Another great app for Android devices is Fing. Fing is also available on Apple's app store.

• Thanks for the help tekk, tried what you said (and also looked at it with android), and still the same problems. I even tried reinstalling and being very careful to only change the few settings that should matter.

Then I installed FreeNAS and got it all up and running in less than an hour. If OMV is ever going to compete, it is going to need more documentation for simple use-cases like mine. The wiki was pretty much empty.

Again though, thanks for trying; I'm guessing you are a dev/evangelist for OMV - I love competition, so keep it up!

• I have the exact same issues, I didn't read this thread as it does connect, and I assumed this was a different issue.

I like everything I see (I've never used omv before, I'm wondering if I should go and install an older version instead) but it just feels like I'm going in circles trying to figure out what is stopping things from working.

• OMV is running fine here with a hole bunch of clients. Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Mac, Ubuntu, Debian...
    And I think I´m not the only one. Some even use it for business.

Sometimes, depending on the hardware, installation, configuration, there are some hick ups.
    But in this forum we try to help everyone. This is only possible if - thats what tekkb already said - you tell us whats the problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!