How do I create a filesystem that is larger than 16TB?

• Hi,

I'm new to OMV and am trying to create a filesystem that is about 22TB. The RAID 5 configuration works as expected, but when I go to create a new filesystem on that RAID setup, I get an error: /var/log/openmediavault/omv-initfs\@_dev_md8.log reports

mke2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
    mkfs.ext4: Size of device /dev/md8 too big to be expressed in 32 bits
    using a blocksize of 4096.

I installed the 64-bit version of the OS (e.g. "getconf LONG_BIT" returns 64). How do I get omv-initfs to use 64 bits? (I've also tried "mkfs.ext4 -O 64bit,has_journal,extents,huge_file,flex_bg,uninit_bg,dir_nlink,extra_isize /dev/md8" and got the same error message.)

Thanks,
    Jerry

• Please use a gparted live cd for that. Under Debian Squeeze you can only create filesystems up to 16TB. This problem will be fixed when the next major version is released which will be based upon Debian Wheezy.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• FYI, the XFS filesystem cannot be shrunk. This means that on a RAID setup, you cannot easily reduce the size of the array.

I had a 4x2TB RAID5 array (for a total of 6TB), but was only using 3TB. I wanted to take one of the drives from the array and use it elsewhere, and shrink the size of the array down to 4TB. I believe you can do this with an EXT4 filesystem, but not XFS, so I was sweet out of luck :(

This may or may not be an issue for you.

• Zitat von "Tyberious Funk"

FYI, the XFS filesystem cannot be shrunk. This means that on a RAID setup, you cannot easily reduce the size of the array.

I had a 4x2TB RAID5 array (for a total of 6TB), but was only using 3TB. I wanted to take one of the drives from the array and use it elsewhere, and shrink the size of the array down to 4TB. I believe you can do this with an EXT4 filesystem, but not XFS, so I was sweet out of luck :(

This may or may not be an issue for you.

Correct. XFS cannot be shrunk, EXT4 can (offline/unmounted).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hello, I have a question.

I want to mount a raid5 with 6 hard disk (4tb each one)

if I have understood correctly, i could mount the raid without problem from a 64-bit version of the OS, but after formatting for ext4 would have to do it from a Wheezy livecd.
    My question is, then I can handle this volume correctly from the inteface openmediavault as normally.

I'm pretty new and I've always used ext4, xfs never really have anything else I know of this file system,in this case it is advisable to use it, of course it would be much more comfortable.

• Hello sagatxxx,

no problem using it, after you've created it with a gparted livecd.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "davidh2k"

Hello sagatxxx,

no problem using it, after you've created it with a gparted livecd.

Greetings
    David

im just after a little clarification on 64bit ext4 file system. i eventually will have 6x4tb drives, but am building my system with 4x2tb drives.
    i intend to boot with gparted format the disks as explained above, and then use the OMV online expansion to convert to raid6 with 4x2tb and 2x4tb (lowest drive size wins for raid size). then once i have a nice raid6 setup, i will replace (one by one) the 2tb drives for 4tb until i end up with 6x4tb

will the raid expansion work withing OMV if i create the file system using gparted? i realise what i am planning is not exactly basic stuff! why make it easy? :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't tried but I would imagine you would have to do all expansion using gparted. OMV 0.6 won't have this issue.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Not until the new Version of OpenMediaVault (Kralizec) is out.

Edit: Aaron was faster...

Greetings
    David

• lol 3 posts at the same time!
    i think i will take the less risky route and go XFS from the start. i assume that can be expanded/raid type converted on the fly?

just one more thing :)
    when is the next version of OMV slated for general release?

• XFS can be expanded online. But I have to advise you to be carefull, each expansions also includes the risk of a complete file loss...

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "andycaca"

when is the next version of OMV slated for general release?

In a month or two.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

In a month or two.

cool, thanks for the info. i may well hang fire on buying the extra 4tb drives until it is released and then be on 0.6 before committing myself. BTRFS :) :twisted:

• XFS never was limited to 16TiB.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!