Anyone interested in a LXDE+TightVNC Remote Desktop Plugin?

• Please just make it run with an unprivileged user.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "drdownload"

Ease of install and usage for the beginners?

Well, he just doesn't see why you would install a desktop client onto a Server. I know the benefits but some people are just shaking theire heads about something like that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• And if you've just head looked in theire Forums you would've seen that they already support headless servers. I linked it in the other thread you were asking...

Greetings
    David

• Hi,

This plugin was abandoned?
    I understand that some purists don't approve it but a plugin is supposed to be an optional thing no? :)

I use LXDE+TightVNC for some specific things which, I agree, can always be done on CLI...but it's comfortable. I would prefer to have it integrated to omv as a service with updates... :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi,

This plugin was abandoned?
    I understand that some purists don't approve it but a plugin is supposed to be an optional thing no? :)

I use LXDE+TightVNC for some specific things which, I agree, can always be done on CLI...but it's comfortable. I would prefer to have it integrated to omv as a service with updates... :)

Have you tried the remotedesktop plugin?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Haven't tested with that config but it shouldn't cause a problem (I think). The plugin uses tightvnc as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Haven't tested with that config but it shouldn't cause a problem (I think). The plugin uses tightvnc as well.

Hi,

I've tested it.

I wouldn't know how to chose.... RDP or VNC.
    I have noticed one thing: it seems on RDP client you can not configure a proxy which is important to me.
    On RDP client I don't see the "adaptive quality" too...
    So the client is different but beyond this, it's the same...

Any recomendation?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is a server not a client. Unlike vnc, rdp quality is set at the client - i.e. on linux rdesktop -g 1024x768 -a 16 omvtest where g is desktop size and a is bit rate, on Windows just move the sliders to different settings. No idea about proxy. Generally the client is using the proxy not the server.

• This is a server not a client. Unlike vnc, rdp quality is set at the client - i.e. on linux rdesktop -g 1024x768 -a 16 omvtest where g is desktop size and a is bit rate, on Windows just move the sliders to different settings. No idea about proxy. Generally the client is using the proxy not the server.

I think you misunderstood me.
    I was comparing vnc client with rdp client on PC.

I will keep VNC btw. I can configure the proxy on it and have adaptive quality. On RDP client I need to change manually the colors and resolution if need it.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know what you are saying but they work different. With vnc, the server determines the quality. With rdp, the client determines the quality. As for not having a proxy, that would depend on what client you are using. You can always proxy the rdp client through an ssh tunnel. VNC needs a proxy because it is not secure at all. RDP normally does not need a proxy because it is encrypted. Not sure why you need a proxy...

• I know what you are saying but they work different. With vnc, the server determines the quality. With rdp, the client determines the quality. As for not having a proxy, that would depend on what client you are using. You can always proxy the rdp client through an ssh tunnel. VNC needs a proxy because it is not secure at all. RDP normally does not need a proxy because it is encrypted. Not sure why you need a proxy...

Understood.

Thanks for the explanation.

Need a proxy because I need to pass throught a crypted ssh tunnel. so I need to use a proxy socks ( ssh is the only flow authorized by firewalls on output).

Plus, with socks I don,t need to nat more ports on my router :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!