NFS V3 and V4 on 0.5.0.31

• I just installed OMV 0.5.0.24 and upgraded it to 0.5.0.31. The goal was to use this machine as an NFS store for VMWare guests, sometimes I need some spare space to move machines.

VMWare with version 5.1 still supports NFS V3 shares only, but OMV with version 0.5 presents NFS V4 out of the box. When I try to mount such an NFS share I receive an error like "Unable to connect, NFS V3 share not found".
    rpcinfo -p | grep nfs shows that V2, V3 and V4 are present, but the share generated by the web interface is of V4 type.

After some googling I found the solution:
    This seems to be a small bug in the /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server startup script. There's a line like this:

Code
    $PREFIX/bin/rpcinfo -u localhost nfs 3 >/dev/null 2>&1
        RPCMOUNTDOPTS="$RPCMOUNTDOPTS --no-nfs-version 3"

The script looks for a NFS V3 connection over UDP (Parameter -u) and if it does not find it it disables NFS V3.

Solution:
    Just a small change, replace the -u with a -t (Parameter: TCP connection), restart the NFS server (/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart) and voila, VMWare can connect to this NFS share and mount it as a datastore.
    Even after a reboot the share is accessible and can be mounted on other ESXi hosts.

./edit: Typo corrected.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von datadigger ()

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks, David.

I just don't know if that makes sense, because this little bug seems to be common for all Debian Squeeze distros and with Wheezy cards will probably be reshuffled. We will see....

And the freshly created NFS share works good, I have just installed a W2012 R2 core server as a VM on it and it runs pretty well.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!