Shares inside share: permissions inheritance ?

• Hello,

I've created a first level shared folder (named "4tb1") and I've create all my shared folders inside it (4tb1/share1/, 4tb1/share2/, 4tb1/share3/...).

I meet some difficulties with the permissions on my second level shared folders (4tb1/share1/), none works correctly!
    I've use "Privileges" only (not ACL).
    Could you tell me how "Privileges" inheritance works?
    Do I have to use ACL to play with rights inheritance?

When I've built my first level shared folder (4tb1/), I gave the permissions below:
    Administrator: read/write, Users: no access, Others: no access
    because this shared folder will be used for USB Backup only.

I've set differents permissions to my second level shared folders (4tb1/share1/, 4tb1/share2/, 4tb1/share3/...) and I've edited some privileges on them.

I've added my second level shared folders inside SMB/CIFS Services.

Do I have to set the permissions of my first level shared folder (4tb1/) to "Everyone: read/write", to be able to give some specific permissions to my second level shared folders: (4tb1/share1/)?

Inside "Shared folder" panel, my first level shared folder (4tb1/) has the value "No" in "Used" column.
    Thus I presume that this shared folder is not published/activated and no one can use it to access to my OMV server.
    Is it exact? Is it a correct/secure settings?

Note: I do that because "USB Backup" plug-in can copy files from a "shared folder" to an external storage, thus, I would like to create a "root" share (of all my shares) to be able to backup all in one shoot on my USB External Hard Drive.

Thanks a lot for your help :)
    Chris

• Each subfolder can have its own permissions. Just be carefull to not replace permissions recursively when you edit 4tb1. But let me ask you one thing, why the effort to make it subfolders?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks davidh2k for your help.

I do that because "USB Backup" plug-in can copy files from a "shared folder" to an external storage, thus, I would like to create a "root" share (of all my shares) to be able to backup all in one shoot on my USB External Hard Drive.

• Yeah, then create a root share with the path '/'. This shares the whole disk.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Zitat von "chrbar"

Do I have to use ACL to stop permissions recursive?

Nono, you can replace ACLs and permissions recursively to all subfolders, but you don't have to, and you shouldn't do it.

Greetings
    David

• Hello, I've rebuilt my shared folders, it works better but I've a question :)

I've created a shared folder with the path "/" and the Permissions "Everyone: read/write" (I want to use it to backup the whole disk).

I've created the following shared folders:
    children/ with the Permissions "Administrator: read/write, Users: read/write, Others: read-only"
    parents/ with the Permissions "Administrator: read/write, Users: read/write, Others: no access"
    public/ with the Permissions "Everyone: read/write"

I've set users' right access via the "Privileges" options.

I've added these shared folders inside SMB/CIFS Services.

The Permissions work fine on children/, parents/ and public/... but I need a authentication to enter on the server!
    I would like everybody can enter on the server without authentication (to be able to access to public/).
    Do I have to set something on SMB/CIFS?
    Or is it the shared folder "/" which generates this authentication request?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Go to your samba settings, edit the share for public. Set the checkmark for public access. Should work fine then. Maybe we need to tune the chmod for / a bit, but I think that shouldn't be neccessary.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!