[SOLVED] "Failed to create a file system"

• Brand new here. NO prior linux experience. Lots of searches on the forums. I tried my best to troubleshoot this issue, but I can't get past this screen.

Installing OMV 5.0.24 via USB drive. Everything is fine up until immediately after the partition message. I get this message:

Code
    [!] Partition disks 
    Failed to create a file system

The ext4 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) failed.

I hit continue/go back, always arrives at the same result. I've tried two different disks, both 64bit and 32bit installers. Both disks I tried show up in the BIOS.

I'm using an Asus P8H77-M LE motherboard with 2gigs of RAM with a Pentium G630 CPU.

I don't have hair so I have nothing to pull. What gives? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Can you try to install via CD? Does the installation work if you install Debian prior to OpenMediaVault and install it afterwards via the Package Repository?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• When I had a SATA DVD-ROM drive hooked up, it gave a message saying "No CD-ROM drive detected". I found what worked was having the USB plugged in at the same time, and it read the files off the USB. That's when I came across the message above. I thought Debian was looking at the DVD-R as a non-readable drive, so I disconnected it, and booted up via USB.

I will download the full Debian distro later and will try that. I did read a post explaining the process.

• Be carefull to download Debian Squeeze (6.0.x) and not Debian Wheezy (7.x). netinstall image suffices.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I'm still getting STUCK at "Detect and mount CD-ROM"...

it says:

Code
    No common CD-ROM was detected. 
    You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers..... blah blah
    Load CD-ROM driers from removable media?

If I knew what to do here I may be able to put the drivers on the USB drive. Does Debian/OMV just not care for this particular chipset? I believe it's the Intel H77 chipset. I just don't get this. How is it possible to boot and then not recognize the DVD?... :\

I've played with Linux distros before (Knoppix and Ubuntu) but maybe they played nicely with the hardware I had at the time. Could the mobo be the issue here?

EDIT: I forgot to mention I am installing from the DVD-R drive. No jump drive for the Debian Speed install

• This would make sense because it not just only fails to detect your DVD-R but your HDD too. You could check if the system is booting correctly with this live cd:

http://live.debian.net/cdimage…-6.0.8-amd64-standard.iso

Maybe you need to install at debian 6 with the backports kernel (Have to check where to get such iso...), because this hardware is so new.

Greetings
    David

• OK so installing the Debian Squeeze distro via USB I get up until it asks to partition disks. This is when I choose "Guided - Use entire disk". Immediately following, I get the following:

Code
    Select disk to partition: SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) - 16GB Lexar USB Flash Drive

So really what's been happening is, it only mounts the USB drive. I'll look on the Debian forums if there's any solution to this. Otherwise, I will have to get a different motherboard.

Funny, because the H77 chipset came out in 2012 and the Debian 6.0.8 was just released...?

• Yeah, but the dot releases are only security fixes, not driver additions.

Greetings
    David

• I don't even ask why IDE is the standard setting in this board... Glad you solved your problem.

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!