How to see NFS on Debian Wheezy

• Hi guys!
    OK! I have done this so far...
    Added smb/cfs shares which work well and I get access in Windows. I have a Debian Server and have added my home network to "workgroup" I can now see the shares in Debian...

I can open the shares without being asked for password which I setup for my user in openmediavault....? I can't, however, copy from them to Debian computer?

I thought I'd need to add nfs shares to get it to work....

I have now added all disks to nfs and made them read/write and added the specific client that I want to have access....

When I check network in Debian it shows the Windows Network and then my other computers on the network....I can't copy from the drives I have shared both as smb/cfs and nfs....?

Do I need to change some settings in Debian to make this work? I haven't changed anymore settings for samba on the Debian server....

bookie56

• Lets just talk on SMB/CIFS. Were you able to copy to your Windows machine and not the Debian??? Are the shares public? You can get into them without user id and password

Go to root of one of your data drives where you can list one of the shares. Give me results of this:

stat nameoffolder (name of folder you are sharing)

• Hi tekkbebe!
    OK I created a user for my smb/cfs shares and set a password for those shares...On my windows computer I have to add my passport each time I start the server (haven't asked windows to save password)....

On the Debian computer ....Before changing the smb.conf I could see the Windows Network and open the shares without the password being needed - but couldn't copy what I needed to my server...the shares are public..

When I changed the smb.conf on the Debian server I then could see the Windows Network and all other computers on that network...sorry let me explain that better....

Firstly I could see the Windows Network and when I clicked on that I could see the rest of my home network - but now I can see the Icon for Windows Network and beside that all the other computers on the network...weird...still can't copy....?

bookie56

• Hi again!
    In a two Words yes/no......lol
    My storage computer has openmediavault installed on it....

I have created shares and a user and can access these files via the windows machine...

BUT

I can see my storage computer on the Debian server because they are on the same home network...but I can't copy files from the storage computer to my Debian server...?

Why is Debian opening the storage computer without password?

PS Even though I can open the shares it says "permissions of bla, bla, bla couldn't be determined"
    bookie56

• You can list the NFS shares on your Debian Desktop with "showmount HostnameofyourOpenMediaVault".

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Why don't you try making the shares not public in the settings of SMB/CIFS on the OMV machine. Reboot after that and then see if you are asked for credentials to enter the share. Also, makee sure the users you created and gave access to the share has read privileges, at a mininum.

Bookie, you need to decide SMB/CIFS or NFS. You should not mix and match services on one share.

• Like tekkbebe suggested, remove the checkmark on the SMB/CIFS shares from the "make it a public share" checkmark!

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Hi guys!
    Now I am fedup....!! I have recently setup raid5 wih four disks on the Debian computer and it decided to resync them now on restart....!! It is going to run for a few hours on 8tb, so I will report later.... :shock:

bookie56

• Hi guys!
    I don't understand....resync ran its course and everything was ok....I cheked the disks individually....no problems.
    I restart the computer and the raid fails again and resync starts again?
    Does anyone have any idea what it could be
    If it was a failing disk - I should see a fault; but no fault is showing on any disk?

bookie56

• If the lack of TLER forces the raid to degrade at least one of your disks HAS to have errors...

Greetings
    David

• Hi again!
    Well, I have 2x2TB Black and they are OK! I have 2x2TB Green and they are coming up OK?

I have read a lot on this now and there is a contention that TYLER or lack of it is the problem even if disks are healthy...?

OK! I can't waste much more time on this but am wondering if there is a solution to storage for images created by clonezila (not an openmediavault specific question - but more of a Linux one).

Clonezilla Server edition automatically saves images created in "/home/partimag" and I could mount the raid5 Array with lvm to "/home/partimag" - but if I can't get the raid5 setup to work properly is there another way of linking drives to one directory?

I don't want just lvm because I don't have any security for drive failure...

When you setup Clonezilla you choose your image destination directory...don't want to run setup over and over again when a hard drive is full - pointing to another drive...then you have the problem of reinstating images...

That is the only reason for the raid5 in the first place, so that I could allocate all the space to "/home/partimag".....

bookie56

• The lack of TLER only gets into consideration when the hard disk tries to correct defect sectors. Do I need to say more?

Greetings
    David

• Hi again!
    Yes I understand what you are saying but extensive tests are showing no problems....usually I get errors showing in Linux disk utility ...but this is different test Equipment...plus WD's own and no errors...

I can't replace disks just for the sake of it....

bookie56

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!