Raid resyncing

• Hi Leute,

its now the 3rd time my raid5 resyncs by itself.
    before it does, the system freezes and reboots itself.

can u tell me which HD needs to be replaced ?
    or is it just because the drive identfier on sda is missing?

Code
    Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 243201 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Tanks in advance !

• Isn't mdadm resyncinc automatically ever Xth day of the month?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• HI,

my RAID5 4x2TB resyncs without break.
    once it is done ... 1-2hours it starts resyncing again.

is that normal ?
    is a drive going bad ?

cant be good for the drives...running 100%
    So please help!!
    Thanks in advance

• Looks like a cabling problem or a dying harddisk. Smartctl fails with a "scsiModePageOffset: response length too short" message and all the storage devices do not have a vaild partition table. I believe this is the reason for the permanent resync.
    I would shut down the system and check all the cabling for the harddisks twice, data and power cables. Consider to renew the SATA cables and check if they are able to transfer the actual SATA speed, older cables are sometimes not able to transfer 6GPBS (If your system supports SATA3).
    Next check the harddisks with smartctl from the command line, type smartctl -h to get the parameters.

smartctl -a -T verypermissive /dev/sdX | todos >/tmp/smart.txt (Replace X with the name of your disks, one after another)

...will deliver a report to the file smart.txt in the folder /tmp and tell what you get. I hope you have a backup of all your data handy.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• i still get access to the the raid... it kind of sucks that the drive is resyncing all day.

but good to know. cabling hasn't changed 1yr
    but to be honest. i think its the drive, it gave me a problem 2month ago when the raid5 it was degraded. Formatted sda again and rebuild the raid - worked for 2month now ;)
    changing the cabling and gonna check smart sunday evening.

i'll keep you postet.

thanks much...

• scsiModePageOffset
    this is from sde1 - and thats my OSdrive connected via USB. i think thats just because the USB connection thts giving that kind of error.
    i gonna check another usb port cable and controller and see if problem persists. But honestly i doubt it would change something !?

• sda http://pastie.org/8683403
    sdb http://pastie.org/8683407
    sdc http://pastie.org/8683412
    sdd http://pastie.org/8683415

Okay. redid cabeling and problem persists.
    on monday or tuesday i gonna try a fresh install of OMV (on a other drive) to see if it is a problem produced by software.
    if the problem is still there i gonna replace sda.
    - still there - mainboard

keep you postet.

• Ok. Replaced Powersupply.
    let the resync ran over night - doesnt resiync till now.

so it may was the PowerSupply that is getting old and producing not enough or correct juice.
    ill keep watching my raid ;)

thanks
    Hannes

• Can somebody show me any proof that missing TLER can force a rebuild, even when the drives have in fact no errors?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• raid is back up and running. all nice an clean and i can access all my data.
    BUT when i dot fdisk -l each drive including the raid seems to have no valid partition table ???

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!