re-enabling ssh right after installation

• Hello guys,

how can I re-enable the ssh server right after installation of OMV on debian wheezy? My Problem is as follow: I install OMV 0.5 on my Pogoplug (a quite frustrating job) and when I reboot the system, the OMV page is unreachable. Since OMV disables ssh (for whatever reason???) I have no access on my server an the frustrating job starts again. By typing

Code
    dpkg-reconfigure openssh-server

I get some warnings (I forgot the exact words).

Thanks!

Jan

• For security reasons. Most user don't need it so its disabled by default under OpenMediaVault.

You can edit /etc/openmediavault/config.xml and edit the sshd section under enable to true. <- This makes your next step reboot persistent: service ssh start

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• You installed Wheezy on a Pogoplug and then you installed OMV .5 ????? You should havre asked before you did this and not just because of the ssh issue. Answeer question and then I explain more.

• Thanks for the propmt reply. :) so it have to be persistent, because woithout ssh I'am locked out from my system because there isn't a posibility for pluging in displays. But I don't understand, what makes the change persitent? The change in the xml file, right?

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

You installed Wheezy on a Pogoplug and then you installed OMV .5 ????? You should havre asked before you did this and not just because of the ssh issue. Answeer question and then I explain more.

Yes.

• Zitat von "jan_lde"

Thanks for the propmt reply. :) so it have to be persistent, because woithout ssh I'am locked out from my system because there isn't a posibility for pluging in displays. But I don't understand, what makes the change persitent? The change in the xml file, right?

Yes.

However OpenMediaVault 0.5 isn't made for wheezy so you will run into trouble with the GUI for sure.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• 1st , the amount of read/writes that OMV .5 does will burn up the flash on the pogo in a short amount of time. Did you not notice that when you first got it the flash was mounted read/only?

• Yes!!!

You should not use Squeeze or Wheezy on this device. They alone will burn up the nand flash,and then to add .5 OMV on top. I have one of these devices and only upgraded the BusyBox binary, created fakeroot fs on the nand and then replaced the binary. These Pogoplugs can't handle OMV.

• On the nand flash is only installed a rescue system, debian runs from a USB stick. (Probably not much better but easier to fix. :) )

The NAND flash is much to small to install debian on it, isn't it?

• If the Debian installation is on the usb stick can't you take the stick to another machine and mount it? Then edit the config.xml or ssh config. You could boot the system to system rescue cd or something to accomplish this too. If you continue to run this way just be aware your usb stick will not last long. You will start to get errors when it's getting close to the end.

You can shrink the filesystem of the disk that OMV is on and then create a partition using the free space using system rescue cd, it has gparted on it. This partition could be used as in place of a data disk. It will show in the file system section of OMV web-gui. You format it and then mount.

• Zitat von "jan_lde"

Oh, thanks. But am I right, that the hard disk on which is omv installed on can't used as share? Will partition the HDD will fix this issue?

Yes. It will.

Use tekkbebes suggestion on how to partition it.

Greetings
    David

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

If the Debian installation is on the usb stick. Can't you take the stick to another machine and mount it. Then edit the config.xml or ssh config. You could boot the system to system rescue cd or something to accomplish this too. If you continue to run this way just be aware your usb stick will not last long. You will start to get errors when it's getting close to the end.

You can shrink the filesystem of the disk that OMV is on and then create a partition using the free space using system rescue cd, it has gparted on it. This partition could be used as in place of a data disk. It will show in the file system section of OMV web-gui. You format it and then mount.

Ok. The 2nd way semms to be better. ;) But one last question: Which combination of Debian/OMV I shoud run on my Machine? Sqeeze/0.5?

Thank you guys! :)

• Debian Squeeze with 0.5 on top of it.

Debian Wheezy will be supported with the next major Version of OpenMediaVault.

Greetings
    David

• Did you enable it in either the config.xml or the webgui and applied the changes?

Greetings
    David

• Is that the section you mean:

The webgui isn't accessable because an internal server error. I shall ask the admin of the page but the problem is that the admin of this page seems to be a noob. :D

Greets,

Jan

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!