name resolution internal and external?

• Hello,

I'm not sure where to ask this question, but here is my problem.
    I have OMV with owncloud behind my router at home. When at home, I access OMV through internal IP. So for owncloud to sync on my notebook, I use 192.168.100.137/owncloud

However, when I'm at work (external) I have to use mydyndns.org/owncloud
    This works correctly because I have proper port forwarding.

However, I don't want to have to change my owncloud account address every time I move in/out of the house. I'd like to just use mydyndns.org and have it resolve correctly with port forwarding.

This isn't just an owncloud issue, but it gives a good example of the problem.

thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would think the external address should still work on your home network, no? If not, you could add an entry to your hosts file or static lease to your router using the dyndns hostname.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Didn't know that. I have switched to using tomato by shibby and pfSense. I only use dd-wrt on access points (have 14 at my school) not supported by tomato.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Uh, save 2 links in your browser. Don't make me say more on this.

The problem is that the owncloud client does the syncing, I'm not using the browswer. So each time I move locations, I have to modify the address in the client. It's not a huge deal. I just figure there must be a way around it.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I would think the external address should still work on your home network, no? If not, you could add an entry to your hosts file or static lease to your router using the dyndns hostname.

It would work if you access another device in your network via outside IP. Some services have problems connecting through an internetconnection back to the localhost.

But he would limit himself to the speed of his provider if he would use the external address.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

But he would limit himself to the speed of his provider if he would use the external address.

Not with pfSense :) It is very smart. At work, I was able to change all of the workstations to use our external domain name (email, web, etc) and pfSense routes them as internal.

• Ah okay.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I've already tried adding an entry into the hosts file. However I think I may have made a mistake with https. I'll test and report back.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought about that more and it probably won't work outside your home.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is called reverse-dns and is necessary when running an email server behind a NAT firewall. Zimbra email server is very picky about reverse-dns.

• Why not just run BIND or other DNS server on your OMV server? Setup your router to hand out your OMV address for DNS when serving up DHCP. Use your internal IP address for the hostname on your internal DNS server.

When you are in your house, your computer will use your internal DNS server and resolved the hostname to the internal IP address. When you are outside your house, your computer will resolve the same name to the public IP address. That is how most business networks solve this problem.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!