Easiest way to map OMV drive in Ubuntu

• Hi gang, is there an easy way to map my OMV network drive to my Ubuntu 13.10?

In Windows, you just right-click and creates a link to my OMV Movie folders to the letter M:.

Is there an easy way like that to do it in Ubuntu.

Thanks again.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With Linux Mint, you go to a view of the network (under Places) and double click on the location, it will mount and place an icon on the desktop

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Haven't used the desktop version but just try to find a network explorer window.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi WastlJ, I tried that, it works, but when I restart my computer, the link is gone.

I think it's something wrong with the Ubuntu 13.10 concerning Samba network connection.

Before, I was able to see right away my samba network connections, now it takes forever to see them.

• Can't you write it into the FSTAB? If you map it into a local dir this should suffice.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I have been using ubuntu for years with nautilus to access smb shares. It works out-of-the-box if you are clicking network in the left menu. If you want permanent connection to shares I suggest setting up nfs shares and connecting to them in fstab. By using nfs you can maximize the throughput and minimize protocol overhead compared to smb.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "BAlGaInTl"

Can't you make a "Bookmark" to that share then?

That's what I did. I had my OMV share to auto mount under Ubuntu, but I didn't particularly like that option. Main reason, my NAS isn't on 24/7, and if I tried to boot my machine w/o my NAS on, it would get errors because it couldn't mount the network share.

Bookmarking the share, is a simple solution.

• Is there no way to mount the shared folders from OMV in Ubuntu directly? I mean I make a share under Access Right Management -> Shared folders? Do I need a NFS or Samba Share?

thank you for help!

• OMV is Linux and my PC is linux, and now I think it must be possible to connect the shared folder without SMB or NFS or what mean the share folders on OMV ("Right Management -> Shared folders")? I want connect without smb or nfs. For example with rsync get direct access to omv path media and there i find all my shared folders. Now I want access this folders directly and mount them on my Ubuntu-PC. Is my explanation now better? I hope so ;)

• Zitat von "jensk"

I have been using ubuntu for years with nautilus to access smb shares. It works out-of-the-box if you are clicking network in the left menu. If you want permanent connection to shares I suggest setting up nfs shares and connecting to them in fstab. By using nfs you can maximize the throughput and minimize protocol overhead compared to smb.

Hi jensk, I tried looking for good instructions on getting NFS working in Ubuntu 13.10, what packages are required, also, creating an NFS link in Ubuntu. I used to have a website that had really good instructions for that, but it doesn't exist anymore. It was http://markinthedark.nl.

But it's true, I used to get 50 MB/s transfer with NFS, but with SMB, I get 30 MB/s max.

Thanks for your help.

• It is faily straight forward mounting OMV NFS shares under Ubuntu.
    First you need to have the NFS client parts installed on your Ubuntu desktop:

Code
    apt-get install nfs-common

After this you should be able to mount NFS shares from your OMV box by mounting them in fstab.

When sharing NFS from your OMV box use the parameters:

Code
    async,no_subtree_check,insecure,all_squash,anonuid=1002,anongid=100

where anonuid and anongid is the id of the user and group that should own the files

On the Ubuntu desktop edit /etc/fstab:

Code
    nano /etc/fstab

insert the NFS mount command:

Code
    OMV-ip:/nfssharename /localmountpoint_path_and_dir/ nfs4 auto,noatime,nodiratime,_netdev,hard,intr,tcp

The most common NFS problem is getting the rights owner and group rights for files stored on the OMV server. This is especially important if the same files also are accessed by SMB or other protocols. By using the anonuid og anongid parameters you can make sure that the NFS client connection sets the right parameters on the NFS host (OMV).

There are many parameters regarding NFS shares and nfs client connections. With NFS4 the above parameters gives the best performance and lets you bypass the usual owner/group problems. Many will set the wsize and rsize parameters to tune the perfomance of nfs over the network. With NFS 4 packet sizes are automatically set so only use the wsize and rsize parameters it you absolutely have to. you can view your actual parameters by issuing the mount command. My mounts automaticcally sets these paramaters:

Code
    <OMV_IP>:/<sharename> on /<localmountpoint> type nfs4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,vers=4,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,port=0,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,clientaddr=<client_ip>,minorversion=0,local_lock=none,addr=<OMV_IP>,_netdev)
  • Zitat von "schuessm"

OMV is Linux and my PC is linux, and now I think it must be possible to connect the shared folder without SMB or NFS or what mean the share folders on OMV ("Right Management -> Shared folders")? I want connect without smb or nfs. For example with rsync get direct access to omv path media and there i find all my shared folders. Now I want access this folders directly and mount them on my Ubuntu-PC. Is my explanation now better? I hope so ;)

Rsync connects to a remote system via a remote shell (RSH or SSH) or connects directly to a remote rsync daemon. With SSH you can open a connection to a remote host, but this does not allow desktop programs to use data on the remote system.
    One way to achieve that without mounting a share via SMB or NFS is using SFTP:
    http://blog.damontimm.com/how-…u-linux-using-sshfs-fuse/

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Hehe - getting to your data without setting up anything is not possible.
    So you need to setup SMB, NFS, SFTP or any other protocol. It is not like windows where a "shared folder" is already discoverable in your network by other pc´s.

• Yep, that is the final conclusion. After re-reading my post I thought I should add that but you were first. Thanks. ;)
    That's like real life: There's no fire without a spark. ;)

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!