Configure NUT client

• Hello,

My system topography is thus: I have an UPS (APC ES 700) connected to a Synology NAS and I was looking to monitor/share this from my OpenMediaVault NAS via the network. i.e. OMV would be the client.

I am wondering how to configure OMV to do this - I installed the NUT plugin but I am unsure how to configure via the UI. Can anybody offer any advice?

Almost forgot - I'm using OMV 0.5.31.

Regards,
    Colin

• Thank you.

Using this in my OMV UPS driver configuration how does the OMV box then know the location (ie. the IP address) of the Synology NUT server which is physically connected to the UPS?

• Hello,

Can someone please help me too for ups configuration.
    I have an RIELLO IPG 800 with usb interface.

# lsusb -v
    Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:5500 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. HID->COM RS232 Adapter
    Device Descriptor:
    bLength 18
    bDescriptorType 1
    bcdUSB 1.00
    bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
    bDeviceSubClass 0
    bDeviceProtocol 0
    bMaxPacketSize0 8
    idVendor 0x04b4 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
    idProduct 0x5500 HID->COM RS232 Adapter
    bcdDevice 0.00
    iManufacturer 1 Cypress Semiconductor
    iProduct 2 USB to Serial
    iSerial 0
    bNumConfigurations 1
    Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 2
    wTotalLength 41
    bNumInterfaces 1
    bConfigurationValue 1
    iConfiguration 4 Sample HID
    bmAttributes 0x80
    (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower 100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 4
    bInterfaceNumber 0
    bAlternateSetting 0
    bNumEndpoints 2
    bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
    bInterfaceSubClass 0 No Subclass
    bInterfaceProtocol 0 None
    iInterface 0
    HID Device Descriptor:
    bLength 9
    bDescriptorType 33
    bcdHID 1.00
    bCountryCode 0 Not supported
    bNumDescriptors 1
    bDescriptorType 34 Report
    wDescriptorLength 37
    Report Descriptors:
    ** UNAVAILABLE **
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
    bmAttributes 3
    Transfer Type Interrupt
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
    bInterval 10
    Endpoint Descriptor:
    bLength 7
    bDescriptorType 5
    bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT
    bmAttributes 3
    Transfer Type Interrupt
    Synch Type None
    Usage Type Data
    wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
    bInterval 10
    Device Status: 0x0000
    (Bus Powered)

I have the following error:

Failed to execute command 'upsc RIELLO_IPG800 2>&1': Error: Driver not connected
    Error #4000: exception 'OMVException' with message 'Failed to execute command 'upsc RIELLO_IPG800 2>&1': Error: Driver not connected' in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/nut.inc:151 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceNetworkUPSTools->getStats(NULL, Array) #1 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpcservice.inc(125): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc.inc(62): OMVRpcServiceAbstract->callMethod('getStats', NULL, Array) #3 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(495): OMVRpc::exec('Nut', 'getStats', NULL, Array, 1) #4 {main}

Thank you in advance.
    Luis

• Is there any way to stop the autoshutdown of the UPS after the system shuts down? I want the UPS to stay up and continue powering my router. I tried changing the mode to "none" in the nuts.conf (It appears the scripts only initiate autoshutdown for "netserver" and "standalone") but everytime the service restarts it overwrites my nuts.conf back to standalone.

I also tried manually editing nuts-server and nuts-client in /etc/init.d to stop the autoshutdown from being called/executed but everytime about a minute after the service finishes it's shut down the UPS powers down. The UPS does have a "Green Mode" where it can internally detect the primary load going offline and automatically power down but that is disabled and I've tested that by manually powering off the server and the UPS trucks along just fine.

Any ideas? The UPS is a APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA connected via USB.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can setup the UPS, using ACP software (and Windows unfortunately), to shutdown at some percentage of discharge. But this is configuring the firmware of the UPS, direct.

The Linux Nut client powers down your server, based on time or at "low battery". ("Low battery" is another settable parameter with the ACP software.) I don't think the NUT client turns the UPS off.

EDIT: I might be wrong about this. I queried my UPS with command for my driver (upsc 1000xs@localhost) and one of the returned parameters was ups.timer.shudown -1

In any case, you can test this by setting your server to shutdown based on time, 2 seconds, then unplug the UPS. I think you'll find that the UPS remains on line, after your server shuts down.

If your UPS is shutting down quickly, without much load, the batteries may be worn out or you may need to do a run down calibration cycle.

With your model number in hand, go to the APC web site, get the software, and check it out. If you have a lot of short power outages, in your location, I'd set "low battery" at a higher percentage. (Maybe 30 or 40%) They'll last longer. Otherwise, stock firmware settings work fine.

• Hi,

I have a ODROID HC2 conected to my APC UPS with USB. I have installed NUT with the OMV 5 pluggin in the OMV web interface. Everything works fine and ODroid is powering off when battery is low.

I now want to also shutdown my Raspberry Pi through NUT (the Pi is not connected with USB).

I have set up the NUT in standalone with remote monitoring enabled.

I have tried several tutorials with comands but :

1) my Pi is not stopping when power is shut down. Although if I do a "upsc ups@Odroid IP" from the Pi I can see the UPS data on the Pi...look like the Pi is able to see the ups but don't get the order to shut down.

2) OMV 5 errase all the command enteted manually in the different nut config files (which might be normal as the web interface of OMV is managing NUT).

Is there a tutorial that explains how to setup a 2 device management with only one connected to the ups with usb under OMV 5 web interface ?

Otherwise can somebody help me ?

I am begginer in this world. Thanks for your help :) !

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think the best way is to have your ups set up to shutdown only one server. I looked into this some time ago and never came up with a solution that I could implement. If you are handy with code I think there is a way to shut down a server from the primary server. All of the servers are on a ups but only one communicates with the ups via nut. All the other machines shut down via the primary machine. Maybe someone else will chime in with a solution - for both of us. In the mean time shake the Google tree along those lines.

• If I recall correctly, you ( Agricola) have recently posted a screenshot of your config and there are userid and password for client NUT.

PacoPP: You don't say whether your RasPi is running OMV, but the NUT plugin cannot be run in client mode. You need to install NUT from the repo instead and it comes with somewhat cryptic info how to configure it. The Pi needs to be setup as client to poll the server, with matching ups name, userid and password.

It probably doesn't matter for you, but be aware that there are two different NUT protocols, an old and a new and it will come as a complete surprise to everybody that they are incompatible. I have the old version running here, with a QNAP NAS as master and another QNAP and a Windows PC as slaves. But they are using the old protocol, so there is no point in me posting config files here.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I recall correctly, you ( Agricola) have recently posted a screenshot of your config and there are userid and password for client NUT.

Here's my NUT Web UI config. I am not sure what you mean by userid and password, but if you look closely at the description of the mode entry at the top of the page, it reads

'Standalone' for local UPS, 'Netclient' for remote UPS on a NUT server.

I have never looked into the 'Netclient' mode, but that may be the key to controlling multiple machines with one UPS.

• It's at the bottom of your picture: you enable remote monitoring, which makes this OMV machine a master or server. Conversely, if at the top you choose 'netclient' then this machine becomes a client that connects to a remote NUT server. I guess the identifier field then takes the name of both ups and remote host. Details should be in the docu link.

The ups by definition, is always connected to the NUT server, never the client.

Am I making sense?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Am I making sense?

Yes. I understand that the “nut server” is physically connected to the ups, but how does the “client” communicate to the server? I see the username and password but I don’t see an address connection.

• I "think" that this is put into the identifier field. Probably sth. like upsname@hostname. There is a link to the docs visible in your screenshot. I can't click on that. ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Mode field is a drop-down that toggles between Standalone and Netclient. When you first open the plugin's tab Standalone is the default setting. If you switch the Mode field to Netclient then more fields appear, as seen below.

forum.openmediavault.org/wsc/index.php?attachment/19281/

• I am not sure if my system is somehow in some strange configuration, it is OMV 5.6.12-1. Anyway, I had to manually create two links in '/usr/bin' to get the NUT plugin to work.

upsc -> /bin/upsc

upsdrvctl -> /sbin/upsdrvctl

Once I manually created those links, the plugin service starts with no errors.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Your system was not properly migrated. Please have a look here:

• The NUT plugin only supports UPS that are physically connected (USB, serial) to the NAS.

I am using SNMP with the NUT plugin on two OMV NAS through the network. Had to install nut-snmp package IIRC....

Driver Config:

driver = snmp-ups

port = 192.168.10.145

community = public

snmp_version = v1

mibs = pw

pollfreq = 15

desc = "Eaton 5PX 1500"

OMV 6.x
    Supermicro X9DRH-7F
    2X-XEON E5-2660V2
    128GB PC3-10600R ECC REG
    Supermicro SATA DOM 64GB
    Areca ARC-1883IX-24
    24X - WD WD80EFZX
    NORCO RPC-4224 4U
    Eaton 5PX 1500

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!