docker utilization for plugins

• I would think that you would use shared folders as a means of mapping to container volumes.

I don't know if it would be such a good idea to use shared folders for actually storing containers.

I sort of agree. I've set my OMV root partition large enough that I can do a lot in there, but a lot of people may not have done that. That would mean you need to move the docker images somplace.... so to data drive someplace. Moving it is pretty easy: http://peterjolson.com/moving-…uff-to-a-different-drive/

As for the path mapping, Something like:

Code
    -v /media/43j2klj234lkj432i243ij4o234/sharedFolder/Folderinside:/opt/webapp

. This means that anything added to /opt/webapp in the container will be actually stored at /media/43j2klj234lkj432i243ij4o234/sharedFolder/Folderinside on the host.

Is a container just the configuration file?

Nope... container is like a VM image that takes up way less space and is cached so it can be rebuilt very quickly. Did you mess with this at all: https://www.docker.com/tryit/ ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I tried the tryit demo on the docker site. Very basic. Made sense but didn't give me a lot of information like space usage or how to create the config file.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• If you run something like, say, SABnzbd this will result in all your downloaded files being owned by the root user, which can cause some problems.

The sticky bit in the folder above should take care of that problem.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Over the weekend, I upgraded my OMV system to Krazelic (finally), and took the opportunity to install Docker and put my services in containers. Up to this point, I've been mostly playing around in Virtual Box. For anyone interested, here is my Dockerfile for sabnzbd;

A note a couple of things... as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I run services as a non-root user, even inside containers. This can cause some issues with file permissions. So I have created corresponding users and a group in the OMV host, that matches the user and group in the container. Hence why I specify the UID and the GID... these need to match what is on the host.

After successful installation, run the following command;

Code
    sudo docker run -v /path/to/config/on/host:/etc/downloaders/sabnzbd -v /path/to/datadir:/export -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 8080:8080 --name=sabnzbd -d --restart=always sabnzbd

I found that mapping the localtime on the host to the container seemed to be the easiest way to keep the container time correct -- without it, the time keep getting out of sync. Also, the --restart=always option means that the container will automatically restart whenever required -- such as on reboot, or if for some reason the container crashes. HOWEVER, if you shutdown the sabnzbd application within the container (say from the webgui), the container will continue to run happily. ie, the restart option only works if the container as a whole fails. It doesn't restart if an application inside the container fails.

• For anyone that is interested and still following this thread...

Over the weekend I noticed that my installation of sabnzbd wasn't working quite correctly. Basically, anything that required repairs was failing. I have par2 installed, but for whatever reason, the sabnzbd code wasn't picking it up. When I've got some time, I'll try and debug the problem and try and figure out what's going on. But in the meantime, I really needed a working install of sabnzbd.

I did a quick bit of research and found that while I'm running sabnzbd based on the latest source code in git, most debian and ubuntu users use the packages put together by jcfp. So I modified my Dockerfile accordingly;

I built a new image using my edited Dockerfile, then shutdown the existing container and fired up a new container based on the fixed image. Since my data and configs are all stored in volumes on the host, the new container opened up with my complete history and configs all in tact. The whole experience took about 15-20 minutes. The actually downtime for the container though, was about 15-20 seconds. That's pretty damn useful.

• I have been experimenting with docker on a VM of OMV and have been really pleased with the performance and ease of integrating Docker with omv. So much so that I am thinking of using Docker versions of SAB, Couchpotato, Sonarr, Plex, Mediabrowser....I like that settings are persistent and that it is easy to upgrade to the newest versions of those apps...the only thing that I don't like is using only a cli interface for managing Docker. It would be simpler to manage docker container creation inside of OMV. If we had a gui interface in OMV for configuring and installing containers from the hub, Docker would clearly be the way forward for plugins.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was looking into a docker plugin. Big problems are I have never used docker and not much time. The more experience people can post with simple docker projects, the easier it will be for me.

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most of those articles are about using a template and not really setting it up to understand how it works.

• How about setting up Hello World?

http://blog.xebia.com/2014/07/…ossible-docker-container/

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

• Offizieller Beitrag

Better :)

• I've done my first docker experiment too with Crashplan - changing it from the install process described in the forum to a prebuilt container originally created for unRaid. Other than a few experiments with what to pass when invoking the container (mapping localtime and timezone, for example) , it was surprisingly easy. If anyone would like details, I'd be happy to share them.

I don't mind the commandline, but being able to manage Dockers through an OMV interface would be very useful.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!