Execution failed Service collectd ?

• Hello

I receive mails from my OMV server with subject "monit alert -- Execution failed collectd" and this following content:

Execution failed Service collectd
    Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 14:19:35 -0500
    Action: alert
    Host: NAS
    Description: failed to start

Do you know what it is talking about ?

Thanks,
    Chris

• Offizieller Beitrag

collectd collects information about the system to produce the graphs (memory use, load, hard drive use, etc) that you find in the omv web interface. Are the graphs working?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Yes my graphs are working. The reason I asked is this is the second time I've received this alert this week, but if its simply data collection then I'll ignore it. Possibly its a time out issue as the i/o has been running pretty hot all week as I do the initial data copy over from my old NAS.

Thanks!

• It is likely trying to write to the old files. Are you on sardaukar or kralizec???

You need to stop the service and delete the old files. Tell me what version and then I tell you what to do.

• *** This is for Sadaukar. The graph database files are in different location in Kralizec ***

service collectd stop
    rm -rf /var/lib/collectd/rrd/*
    service collectd start

After it starts again you will not have graphs at first. It will take a bit to get some data points to begin creating the graphs.

• Thanks for the info Tekk and I apologize for my response times... my employer doesn't allow me a lot of personal time ;)

I don't really use the statistical data all that much other than a "neato" feature, but as a linux junkie I'm curious why this would be failing. collectd runs as root, and all these files/dirs under /var/lib/collectd/rrd are owned/writable by root. If it was a permission issue I would expect to get alerts every time it ran, but the first alert was 2 days ago, and then again today.

I should also point out this is a spankin brand new install as of Monday with two new drives and the mirror out of my old NAS. Tuesday I enabled Notifications and began an rsync copy from the remaining drive in the old NAS to OMV (which is still running!). I got a tonne of alerts on Tuesday but Wed and Thu were quiet until I got the second collectd alert today.

• You made an image from a vm. It had created database files for the disks on that vm. Then you restored the vm image to another machine. It is trying to get data points for the old disks still and they are no longer present. That is reason for the error and why you need to start fresh with collectd.

• Are you saying the ISO install uses a VM image? Doesn't seem like a very clean method for a fresh install.

If that's not what you're saying, then no, I did not create an image from VM. This is an ISO installation.

• Ah, I thought you had made an image from a vm and restored it to a bare metal machine. Well I would just try my instructions above.

PS- I jump around the forum a lot. I don't reread each thread every time.

• I have the same trouble but my graphs not work anymore, I'm in 1.12 Kralizec, what can I do?

Code
    ate:        Wed, 11 Feb 2015 06:16:48 
    ction:      alert 
    Host: 
    Description: failed to start Your faithful employee,Monit

Code
    Does not exist Service collectd 
                    Date:        Wed, 11 Feb 2015 06:18:49 
                   Action:      restart 
                   Host: 
    Description: process is not running Your faithful employee,Monit

Code
                    Date:        Wed, 11 Feb 2015 06:19:20 
                   Action:      alert                Host: 
                   Description: failed to start 
    Your faithful employee,Monit
  • Sorry I'm still sleep :D

I'm not sure why collectd.conf was delete, someone knows why?

I just create a collectd.conf and all works. Paste de code:

Lenovo Thinkcentre Tower M92p + HDD 120GB OS + 8 TB RAID5 (3x4TB HDD WD&Seagate)
    Debian Wheezy 7.8 64 bits + OMV 1.12 kralizec + 3.16 backport kernel

Radxa Rock + NAND 8 GB OS + 1 TB HD Western Digital
    Debian Wheezy 7 ARM 32 bits + OMV 1.12 kralizec

• OMV has internal commands that recreate conf defaults in this case omv-mkconf collectd

If you type in terminal omv-mkconf and press tab key it will give you all available scripts to configure system configurations

Good to know, thank you @subzero79 :D

Lenovo Thinkcentre Tower M92p + HDD 120GB OS + 8 TB RAID5 (3x4TB HDD WD&Seagate)
    Debian Wheezy 7.8 64 bits + OMV 1.12 kralizec + 3.16 backport kernel

Radxa Rock + NAND 8 GB OS + 1 TB HD Western Digital
    Debian Wheezy 7 ARM 32 bits + OMV 1.12 kralizec

• Hello!
    I´m newbie with OMV and this forum, my first post...
    Is these messages somehow related to this thread:

"Feb 12 11:44:48 OBELIX collectd[2490]: rrdcached plugin: rrdc_update (/var/lib/rrdcached/db/localhost/df-root/df_complex-used.rrd, [1423734288:1076383744.000000], 1) failed with status -1.
    Feb 12 11:44:48 OBELIX collectd[2490]: Filter subsystem: Built-in target `write': Dispatching value to all write plugins failed with status -1."

I just installed from ISO OMV1.9 and updated through webgui to1.12 and now these eror messages keeps coming and coming. IT seems that this is related to df command and collectd makes graphs of diskusage? how can i fix this? There are thousands of these error messages and after every few minutes system informs that theres a" software error" and kicks me out from webgui...
    Cheers, Flohha

• Offizieller Beitrag

Once you add a data drive, it will stop.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hi again!
    Thanks for fast reply but i´m afraid that same messages still keeps coming.. I added 4 wd red2tb disks and started to sync raid5. And again i got this "Software failure. Press left mouse button to continue. Session expired."
    And sync failed and it started to resync. And after few moments the same occurred. Theres something i´m doing wrong?
    HW: Asus C60M1-I, 8GB DDR3, 30GB ssd for OS and 4x 2TB WD reds for data.
    SW: OMV 1.12, new install.

-Flohha

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably still have the web interface set to timeout after 5 minutes. It shouldn't stop the sync though. Set session timeout to 0 in the Web Administration tab if you don't want it to timeout.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!