• Offizieller Beitrag

The server at the school (200 students) I do work for starting having lots of issues. After seven years and the original hard drives!!, the finally let me replace it.

Current specs:

Code
    Dell PowerEdge 2900 III rack mount server
    Dual Xeon 5320 with BSEL mod
    10 gb ram 
    (8) 160 gb drives running hardware raid 5 on a perc 5/i
    LOUD and heats up the room

So, I decided to build a new server for them.

The server runs Proxmox 3.1 with three kvm virtual machines:

• Windows 2008 Server - AD and file server
    • Windows 2008 Server - terminal and remote access server
    • OpenMediaVault 0.5.35 - file, tftp, and intranet server

New server components:

Code
    LIAN LI PC-A04B Black Aluminum MicroATX Mini Tower
    Rosewill FORTRESS-450 450W 80 PLUS PLATINUM
    SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SL7-F-O uATX Server Motherboard LGA 1150 Intel C222 DDR3 1600
    Intel Intel Xeon E3-1245V3 Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core w/HT Server Processor BX80646E31245V3
    (7) Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Drive ST1000DM003
    (2) Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL11 Unbuffered ECC UDIMM 240-Pin Server Memory CT102472BA160B

Server idles at 63 watts. I'm guessing the old server idles at over 250! The energy savings alone will pay for the server

I have proxmox installed one of the seven drives. Then I have two, three drive software raid 5 using xfs. One raid 5 for the AD server VM and one raid 5 for the other two VMs. Speed was beyond what I thought it would be :shock:

Server power use during the first test of writing to the array - 85 W
    Server power use during the second testing of copying 30 GB file from one array to the other - 112 W

I was very surprised that the 2.6.32-pve23 proxmox kernel had drives for the haswell e1000e network adapters and the built-in LSI HBA :) There is also nothing better the SuperMicro's remote control. This board has a dedicated port for control and I did all of the installation from there (including remotely mounting ISO images over samba). It was a pricey board but if you are thinking about a good motherboard and separate HBA, I would get this board. It is cheaper than buying the two separately.

For backup, everything is written to my old HP N40L running OMV 0.5.35 in a different building. It has a four drive raid 5 array that keeps three sets of backups. I also have offsite backups at home :)

• How much did the whole setup cost?

And, nice replacement.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

About $1400. A little pricey but it will last. I tried configuring a Dell or HP with that many drives, memory and that Xeon but couldn't even come close :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Really nice setup.

And while I read I asked myself, where is the backup, where is the backup... and then in the last paragraph. :lol:

Greetings
    DAvid

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The kill-a-watt readings/pics and the backup statement were written with you in mind :lol: I knew you would ask!

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Reminds that I still have to check my new desktop PC how much it drains in "full" idle and how much under full load now.

I mean... that system is critical to backup... or the 200 Students may slap you in the face when theire data gets lost :lol:

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

The students actually don't have anything on the server anymore since they use Google Docs. It is the teachers I have to worry about! :lol:

By the way, I am very impressed with this system. It is faster than my home server (xeon e3-1220v2) and has three less drives but idles 70 watts lower!

• Updated my NAS thread with information about power consumption of my Haswell Desktop. ;)

Greetings
    Davod

• The cost of the machine was not that bad, minus the data drives. It's the hard drives that really bring up the price, like always. You get the cpu and board combo from newegg? I saw the case was not that bad either. No board from SuperMicro is cheap. They are worth it though.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I got 1 TB drives because I didn't need any more space. They have a lot of files but not much video so not much space is needed. The current server only has 900 MB for both VMs. Each VM has 2 TB now and its own array for better speed.

Case, psu, motherboard, and cpu came from Newegg. Drives and memory came from Amazon. Got the drives from Amazon because Newegg had a three drive limit. The case is a pleasure to work with and it holds seven drives with good air from on all seven. The SuperMicro board was definitely worth it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Low 30s C for CPU and upper 30s C for the mainboard. When it was syncing both arrays at the same time, the cpu temp was around 40 C and the mainboard was about 43 C. It would do better with a better cooler. The Intel cooler is small even if it does have copper in the middle. I didn't try but I could also set the fans for a higher speed in the bios.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just out of curiosity, I plugged the old server into my kill-a-watt. At idle and no VMs running, it pulls 325 watts!!! The new one idles at 63 watts. Pretty decent power savings :lol:

• wow thats a big difference.

This means the school saves now nearly 2300 kWh per year ... don't think about all the other old servers in the world that use a lot more energy than needed.

If you compare the price of the hardware and the cost savings for the energy the ROI should be quiet good enough to change all old server (of course in the US the energy is cheaper - but here in europe we pay as private person around 0,25 € per kWh).

• Offizieller Beitrag

If they keep this server as long as the last (6 years+), the electricity savings alone will pay for the entire server :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Server was $1400. I don't know how much they pay per kWh. I'm guessing $0.10.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!