**CrashPlan: Using it to backup client machines**

• This Guide will discuss how to setup CrashPlan on OMV primarily as a backup server for client machines. A Windows 7 machine will be used for the client but you likely will be able to easily adjust the instructions for an Apple, or Linux, client machine. This guide is for 64 bit OMV. I'm not sure if CrashPlan has a 32 bit package. You will have to check and adjust if they do have one for a 32 bit OMV.

Start a root session with Putty to your OMV:

cd /
    mkdir scratch
    cd /scratch

Code
    wget http://download1.us.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_3.7.0_Linux.tgz

tar -zxvf CrashPlan_3.7.0_Linux.tgz
    rm CrashPlan_3.7.0_Linux.tgz
    cd ./CrashPlan-install
    ./install.sh

Here I give install steps and responses you should make:

Press enter to continue with installation. [Press ENTER]
    Would you like to download the JRE and dedicate it to CrashPlan? (y/n) [y] [Press ENTER to accept y defautl]
    Press enter to read the EULA. [Press ENTER to read EULA]
    --More--(3%) [Press SPACEBAR several times to get to end of EULA]
    Do you accept and agree to be bound by the EULA? (yes/no) [type "yes" and press ENTER]
    What directory do you wish to install CrashPlan to? [/usr/local/crashplan] [Press ENTER to accept default]
    /usr/local/crashplan does not exist. Create /usr/local/crashplan? (y/n) [y] [Press ENTER to accept default]
    What directory do you wish to link the CrashPlan executable to? [/usr/local/bin] [Press ENTER to accept default]
    What directory do you wish to store backups in? [/usr/local/var/crashplan] [Press ENTER to accept default. This can be changed easily later as you will see.]
    /usr/local/var/crashplan does not exist. Create /usr/local/var/crashplan? (y/n) [y] [Press ENTER to accept default]
    What directory contains your SYSV init scripts? [/etc/init.d] [Press ENTER to accept default]
    What directory contains your runlevel init links? [/etc/rc2.d] [Press ENTER to accept default]
    Is this correct? (y/n) [y] [Press ENTER to accept default]

CrashPlan should be installing now... There is one last query.

Press Enter to complete installation. [Press ENTER to accept default]

Ok, now it is installed and the CrashPlan Engine is running on your OMV. There is a problem though. On reboot the Engine will not start. Do this to fix it.

service crashplan stop
    update-rc.d -f crashplan remove
    insserv crashplan
    service crashplan start

Now reboot and make sure it started automatically with this:
    service crashplan status

It should say running. Continue to my next post.

• Now that we have the CrashPlan Engine installed and running on your OMV we need to configure it. We will do this via a Windows 7 machine.

The first thing we will do is use Putty to create an SSH tunnel to your OMV.
    Start Putty
    In the Host IP put in your OMV's ip on your lan.
    The port should be 22 by default. Leave that.
    In the Saved Session field put in "CrashPlan" so you know what this saved config is for in future sessions.
    Now on the tree on the left in Putty go to Connections. Then below click on plus sign next to SSH and then click on Tunnels.
    In the source port put "4200".
    In the destination put "localhost:4243"
    Then click on add.
    Now back on the tree at the left use the scrollbar and scroll to the top. Then click on Session.
    Then over on the right click on "save" to save the settings for future use.
    You should see the CrashPlan listed in the window. You can double click on it to test a session now. Log in with your root user and passwored. Then exit.

Now is a good time to to check your ssh settings in OMV's web-gui.
    Go to /Services/SSH and then on the right make sure there is a checkmark on tcp forwarding (permit ssh tunneling). If there isn't a checkmark put one there and click on save and apply.

Ok, so on to your Windows 7 machine. We need to download and install CrashPlan on this machine.
    Go to this link and download the appropriate version for Windows, 32 or 64 bit. Most of you will likely have Win 7 64 bit now.
    http://www.code42.com/crashplan/download/
    Install it. Once installed we need to edit a file so we can connect to the CrashPlan Engine on your OMV.
    Click on START (flag icon lower left corner), click on All Programs, Scroll down and click on Accessories folder. Then click on WordPad.
    Once WordPad is open on the upper lefthand corner you will see the word "paste" then a clipboard above it. Above that clipboard is a little white dropdown
    arrow. Click on it. Then click on open. Then slide down the scrollbar til you see Computer on the left tree. Below computer you should see your system drive, usually the C drive. Click on the C drive, or whatever letter yours is.
    Click on "Program Files" folder in the right window.
    Then click on the "CrashPlan" and then on the "conf" folder. It will be white in right window. You need to drop down the box on lower right hand corner.
    Then select All Documnents from the drop down. Then you will see files in the conf folder.
    Click on "ui.properties" to highlight it and then click on open. All the linex in this file should be commented out.
    At the end of the file put this line:
    servicePort=4200
    Then in upper left hand corner find the little white arrow drop down again. Click on it to drop it down and then click on save.

• Now we can connect from the Win7 machine to the CrashPlan Engine on your OMV.

On your Win7 Machine:
    1. Start Putty
    2. double click on the CrashPlan session (this will open up the ssh tunnel to the CP Engine). Log in with root user and the root user's password. Minimize Putty.
    3. Click on Start, All Programs, scroll down to the CrashPlan folder. Click on it and then click on the CrashPlan Icon.
    4. It is a bit slow but it will connect to your CrashPlan Engine on your OMV.
    5. You will be prompted to create an account or login in with your account if you have one. Create an account and log in. Should be obvious. Once that is done you will get the configuration screens for the CrashPlan Engine on your OMV.
    6. Minimize this screen for now we go to your OMV.

What we need to do now is move the default folder that was created for backup to one of our data drives on OMV. You can do this however you want by I will use the open crahplan tunnel session. So:
    1. Maximize your CrashPlan tunnel session, or start a new root session.
    2. cd /usr/local/var
    3. mv crashplan /media/UUID (where the UUID is the root of the data drive you want to move it to) In this example I will use this location:
    mv crashplan /media/185ebf0e-6b50-42f3-9ebf-9596c27c38b5 (on your machine subsitute one of your drive's UUIDs)
    4. cd /
    5. minimize the putty session and now back to the running CrashPlan app.
    6. Click on the CrashPlan app on the bottom taskbar to bring it to the fore again.
    7. It should still be connected to your OMV's CrashPlan Engine.
    8. Click on the Settings Icon on the left side.
    9. Then on the right click on the "configure" button.
    10. Here we will click on the yellow folder above the ok button, towards the bottom right.
    11. This will bring up a tree. We want to direct the new location to be where we moved the crashplan backup folder.
    /media/uuid/crashplan

12. Then click on ok.
    13. Click on ok again.
    14. Now you can click on x. to x out of the crashplan client. The configuration of the CrashPlan backup server is done on OMV.
    15. You can also maximize the Putty session and exit out of it. We no longer need the tunnel.

• Ok, still on the Win7 machine we need to edit that ui.properties file again.
    Use the Word Pad again to pull up this file.
    C:/Program Files/CrashPlan/conf/ui.properties
    The line we put in before:
    servicePort=4200
    Put a # sign in front of it to comment it out so it looks like this:
    #servicePort=4200
    Then save and close.

Now there is a CrashPlan icon running in your system tray. The white arrow that points up in lower right hand corner.
    1. Click on it and you should see the little green house icon for CrashPlan.
    2. Right click on the little green house icon and the click on "show application".
    3. Now the CrashPlan client application will open and connectto the CrashPlan Engine on your Win7 machine.
    4. On the left make sure you are on the Backup section if not click on it.
    5. Then on the right the Destinations box 2nd item down should show name of your OMV machine.
    6. Go down to the select button in the files section on the right.
    7. Click on "select".
    8. A tree will pull up and select what you would like to backup from your Win7 machine. If you are not seeing hidden items you wnat to backup put a check mark in the box at the bottom.
    9. Once you've selected what you want to back up click on "save"
    10. Now back in the Destination section. Where you see your OMV's name and then to the right of it. Click on "Start Backup".

That's it. Your client machine is backing up. These last 10 steps can be repeated for other client machines (linux, mac or windows). You just need to download/install the correct CrashPlan software for that machine. Start the app on the new client machine and then sign into your account. You will see your OMV as a backup device for that machine too. Backups/restores of files/folders are very easy once this is setup. It is not like an image though. I would not use it for disaster recovery of a system. But it is excellent to make backups/restores of critical files/folders. Particularly good for backing up user's folders in Windows, or /home folders in Linux. The client machine does not not need to be onsite with your OMV either.

Any corrections or questions just ask....

• I'm a bit curious of this, since I thought CrashPlan was only a service for syncing backup to their servers. Is this the same service, although self hosted? Can you sync the data the server holds to CrashPlan for off site safe keeping?

• You mean if I have two servers? OMV is my only server. Would be great to do "local" backups from my two laptops to OMV, and also have it sync with CrashPlan cloud for further data safety.

• Zitat von "voyage365"

Would be great to do "local" backups from my two laptops to OMV,

This is exactly what this guide will do... If you want to backup to CrashPlan Cloud you will have to buy a subscription. The setup I show above is free.

• Yes, I understand. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to sync the OMV CrashPlan to CrashPlan cloud so I don't need to run two different services on each laptop, one for my OMV CrashPlan and one for the cloud one.

• I'm not sure about sync but it would be a pay feature. So you would have to look at a subscription to see more advanced features or query on their forums. I know you can do multiple backup sets with a subscription, but you do not want to backup a laptop 2 times to 2 different destination. I am just trying to lay a framework for people to use CrashPlan. If I find an answer to your question I'll let you know.

• Hi @tekkbebe, I'm not usually big on thread revival, but this seems the best place for it.

I've done all of the steps above (using a Mac and the following tunnel command:

Code
    ssh -f -L 4200:localhost:4243 root@192.168.1xx.1xx -N

It won't connect, however. I get

Code
    channel 2: open failed: Connection refused

I did some poking about and found a guide for arm devices that points at a java issues, and provides guidelines to fix them for arm. Unfortunately, that guide ( http://www.opticality.com/blog…shplan-on-a-pogoplug-pro/ ) is for Archlinux, though I figure the basics should apply.

I've tried most of what he says but am unable to do any jar commands, no matter how I try to update Java, and am not certain if I am even moving in the right direction.

Any idea where I might take this next?

Thanks! :)

Seagate GoFlex Home running Debian Wheezy w/ 3.15kernel | Openmediavault Kralizec | Playing with ownCloud 7 and avoiding mySQL 5.5 like the bloody plague :|

• Now is a good time to to check your ssh settings in OMV's web-gui.
    Go to /Services/SSH and then on the right make sure there is a checkmark on tcp forwarding (permit ssh tunneling). If there isn't a checkmark put one there and click on save and apply.

Have you really done this? And enable root login!

HP ProLiant N54L | 16 GB RAM | 4x4TB WD Red RAID 5 | ESXi 5.5 | OMV 2.1.x 64 bit

• Thanks for weighing in. All of those requirements are satisfied.

What I'm, finding is that, despite following the steps in this post, Crashplan service did not load up on startup, nor will it stay on when started.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and got the same thing, though it will now stay on for a total of 10 seconds. Even when it is running, terminal output shows an error, though it is slightly different now:

Code
    channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

The Crashplan engine_error.log is as follows:

The libjtux.so error was what the other tutorial I mentioned was supposed to solve. It solved that particular error, but the Crashplan service would not stay for even a second with the output you saw above in terminal.

Apparently it is possible to run it on Arm, but I'm guessing it's a java issue I need to overcome?

Seagate GoFlex Home running Debian Wheezy w/ 3.15kernel | Openmediavault Kralizec | Playing with ownCloud 7 and avoiding mySQL 5.5 like the bloody plague :|

• I followed the guide to replace the libjtux.so with one for ARM, but it is precompiled by someone else on an archlinux system, and so is possibly not compatible with debian. It is a binary -- no idea if I need to compile it for debian or not -- or how to...

Updated error log:

The libjtux.so is there, even though the error says it is not. And now the service lasts 12-14 seconds.

• No worries. I appreciate the note. So far, I think I might have it fixed. I found as post that contained the files I needed to switch over and they were made with debian in mind. Using it for the files and other tutorials I had tried as a reference, I got Crashplan to run stably enough to connect to the GUI via tunnel. It even started up on boot.

Here are the links I used. The first two helped me figure out where to put the files that needed to be altered for the ARM architecture, the third contains the files that actually worked. Just the third link is probably enough for more experienced users.

http://www.opticality.com/blog…shplan-on-a-pogoplug-pro/
    http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5120

And the files from here: http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/crashplan-3-6-3

+++

Now to see if it will actually backup anything... :)

• Yeah. I'm finding that... :P

So far so good though. *looks for finger-crossing emoticon*

• Help, I am attempting to reinstall CrashPlan... It is not working. When I install on Win 8, it does not see OMV. ( Reinstalling due to HD failure and upgraded to Wheezy and OMV1.) Once it is installed on the windows machine, the windows machine does not see the Linux. This is installed on and my previous PC so the hardware is not that old. So can you help? I've looked all over code42 and nothing seems to help. Have reinstalled 4 times tonight and gone through your tutorial, step by step...
    Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!