Headless system disk backup with PartedMagic (CloneZilla)

• A little guide to make a backup of the OMV system disk with Clonezilla (with PartedMagic).

How to create a bootable PartedMagic Usb stick: http://partedmagic.com/creating-the-liveusb/

- shutdown your OMV box
    - plug in the PartedMagic Usb stick
    - power on your OMV box
    - go to your main pc/laptop/tablet(!?)
    - connect to your router webpage and search for "devices" or "devices list"
    - you should find an IP number with the name "partedmagic"
    - note down the IP number (for example: 192.168.0.103 )
    - launch Putty (or similar program)
    - connect in SSH (port 22) with the IP number you have noted down (for example: 192.168.0.103:22 )
    - at login prompt enter: "root" (without quotes :) )
    - at password prompt enter: "partedmagic" (without quotes :) )
    - enter the command: chmod a+x /root/.xinitrc
    - enter the command: vncserver :60 (you can use any number, just remember which number you have entered :) )
    - open your VNC client and connect to the IP address you noted+colon (:)+the number you entered earlyer (for example: 192.168.0.103:60 )
    - now you should see the PartedMagic desktop!
    - from here you can use CloneZilla or any other program shipped in PartedMagic.

Thanks for the precious infos to the user burdi01 on the PartedMagic forums, and of course to the PartedMagic author!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

I'm big fan of PartedMagic. Ryeco likes System Rescue CD.

Actually, I really like both :) I use PartedMagic a lot for clonezilla because it has better hardward support. I even paid the $5 for the January version :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• GParted - GParted - GParted *sounds like song*

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume you mean gparted live? It doesn't have clonezilla. If I don't need clonezilla, I use systemrescuecd because it has the most utilities (photorec, dcfldd, etc) and I used to use it to install Gentoo.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I assume you mean gparted live? It doesn't have clonezilla. If I don't need clonezilla, I use systemrescuecd because it has the most utilities (photorec, dcfldd, etc) and I used to use it to install Gentoo.

Yup. GParted Live. I only use it for partitioning... ^^

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• I have a problem with the image of my system disk saved with Clonezilla.
    I have successfully saved my OMV system disk with PartedMagic (Clonezilla) on my OMV box data disk shared folder.
    Now i want to move the Clonezilla save directory named "2014-02-27-17-img" to my (very)old Synology nas,
    but i have this message "accesso negato" (in english "access denied") when I try to move the file "2014-02-27-17-img\sdd1.ext4-ptcl-img.gz.aa" :?::?:

What I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably saved it with root permissions. Login via ssh and do the following:

chmod -R 766 /media/long_uuid/2014-02-27-17-img

• Funny, I have issued this command

Code
    chmod -R 766 /media/d7e8338a-970c-43a1-a0c7-a05a43e42edb/Disco2Share/2014-02-27-17-img/

and now I can't access anymore to the folder "2014-02-27-17-img" (from my Windows 8.1 64bit pc) :D

Code
    drwxrwSrw-+  2 root   users 4096 Feb 27 17:49 2014-02-27-17-img
    drwxrwxrwx+ 16 nobody users 4096 Feb 27 08:58 movies
    drwxrwsrwx+  2 nobody users 4096 Feb 28 15:59 tvshows
    drwxrwsrwx+  7 nobody users 4096 Feb 26 23:18 music
  • It is best to have a backups folder on a one of your OMV's data disks. It makes it way easier to recover the system drive. Everything backed up for my system drive is root:root. I think the problem you are having is you backed up with the default user the desktop is using. Try making an image in command line with the console. Make sure you are root user: su - root password is usually "parted magic". You can start Clonezilla in command line with either "clonezilla" or "ocs-live".

• Tested 5 minutes ago. I have executed clonezilla via SSH and not from the desktop with VNC.
    Now the new save directory has root:root (to see that, logged with SSH to the OMV box, and with mc I have "navigated" to the save directory located in one of my data drives).
    Yes, a lot simplier than the VNC connection. Thanks again! :D

p.s.: I have noted that in the clonezilla save directory there are several files.
    the file "Info-saved-by-cmd.txt" contains this command:

Code
    /usr/sbin/ocs-sr -q2 -c -j2 -z1p -i 2000 -fsck-src-part -p choose savedisk 2014-02-28-19-img sdc

The next time I have to run clonezilla can i use this command (obviously changing the save file name...) ?

• For anyone who is afraid of paying the five bucks for parted magic, here is the latest free iso:

http://www.heise.de/download/p…f-1408919379-2692431.html

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

For anyone who is afraid of paying the five bucks for parted magic, here is the latest free iso:

http://www.heise.de/download/p…f-1408919379-2692431.html

Greetings
    David

There's also Gparted Live (not near as full featured as PartedMagic however...). Beyond that... you can always put an Ubuntu Live ISO on a flash drive.. and it would also work well (although it'll have a ton of unnecessary stuff)...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!