Advices on migration from an old Synology Nas to OMV

• I have an old Synology Nas that I use for work and for leisure.
    It has 4 hard drive bays, and is configured in RAID 5.

For the work side:
    -FTPS server (accessed by my customers via the internet)
    -Backup server. Backup of my work Windows 8.1 pc, just a trivial copy of files
    to the Synology SMB/CIFS share

For the leisure side:
    -Storing of my media collection (videos, music, pictures)
    -Download station (Transmission-like torrent downloader)
    -Streaming server for my old WD TV Live

The Synology backups itself on a machine on the network.
    A NasLite box rsync server.
    The Synology every odd day (1,3,5.. day of the month) wakes the
    NasLite box (via WOL) backups itself and then shuts down the NasLite
    box via an "Expect" script I wrote.

What I want to accomplish, and in what I need help:
    -Migrate the functions of my old Synology Nas to OMV box (obviously :D )
    -FTPS server (I have experimented in the last weeks with OMV but I haven't
    looked into it very well)
    -Use SnapRaid instead of the software RAID 5 (tested and I love it!)
    -Using aufs for pooling (not tested and a bit confused in how it works) (Edit: Done! See second post)
    -Backup the OMV box to the NasLite box via rsync (not tested yet)
    -Automate the WOL of the NasLite box, and the shutdown via the "Expect" script
    I wrote. (I hope it's feasible in Debian...)
    -Transmission plugin (not tested yet)
    -Streaming server for my media (tested and it works flawlessly)
    -Backup up of my work pc (tested and it works flawlessly -much (a lot...) faster than
    the Synology Nas-
    -minor feature: I have written a couple of little programs that automate the process
    of finding and downloading .torrent files and send them to the Synology Nas
    "torrent folder" where the "Download Station" get them, and during the night
    downloads the files. It would be nice to move this programs to the OMV box and
    with wine (the software not the beverage :D ) execute them at scheduled intervals.
    Now they run on my work Windows 8.1 pc.
    Unfortunately i have no idea how wine works...

I plan to migrate in the next six months, hoping that someone can help in some
    details of this project.
    I was tempted to use XPEnology instead of OMV because I am familiar in how Synology
    works, but the support of the OMV forums is really great, and for me this is a
    big plus... :D

Thanks!

• I will start to note here my progress in the migration project.

To start, I have concluded succesfully the installation of Aufs pooling.
    I want to comment the steps of the Aufs guide configuration because of my poor knowledge of the english language, I have misunderstood the guide and wasted a lot of time.

Snapraid setup:

Select d4 for Parity volume and save.
    Add all four drives to Content list.
    Add d1, d2, d3 to Data list.
    Apply settings.
    Click Sync in Commands tab.
    Sync will be manual. Adding a script like this to cron jobs or anacron is recommended.

The SnapRaid guide (IMHO) is perfect and perfectly understandable (for me, at least... :D )

I will modify a little the Aufs guide:

aufs setup:

- Create a shared folder for each drive - d1, d2, d3.
    (For example: in drive 1 create the shared folder "d1", in drive 2 create the shared folder "d2" and in drive 3 create the shared folder "d3")
    - Create a shared folder on any drive called poolshare.
    (Here for me was the critical part... --> Create ONE folder in ONE of the hard drives. Choose ONE drive, let's say drive 1, and create a shared folder called "poolshare")
    - Set the bind share as poolshare. (the "poolshare" folder in the previous step)
    - Set three branches as d1, d2, d3.
    - Check the mfs checkbox if you want the drives balanced. Leave unchecked to preserve folder structure. (all very clear here...)
    - Use the poolshare shared folder in other plugins (samba for example). No need to use d1,d2,d3 in any plugin. (also here very clear...)

I hope this post can help someone like me that didn't understood very well the guide... :D

• From my old Synology Nas FTPS configuration page.

With this configuration (and the correct port redirection on my router -port 21, and from port 55536 to port 55543-) all my customers can connect to my FTPS server folder.

I have searched on the forum, but there are no posts talking about FTPS configuration.
    Someone can help me to replicate this configuration with OMV ?
    How can I test to connect to my own FTP from "outside" of my home network, and test if my server OMV configuration is correct ?
    I can't ask to my customers, because I don't want to tell them that I'm swapping my FTPS server... :D I would like to maintain "transparent" the migration.

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is an SSL tab in the ftp plugin that should do the same (I don't use ftp though).

I will modify the aufs instructions with your additions. There really isn't a way to backup OMV from OMV yet.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

There is an SSL tab in the ftp plugin that should do the same (I don't use ftp though).

Thanks Ryeco I will take a look to that tab and start to make some tests.
    In the meantime I have found this site: http://ftptest.net/
    I don't know if you already knew this site, but it seems extremely usefull for my purpose :D
    I will try to use this site to make the first tests and will report the results.

Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

There really isn't a way to backup OMV from OMV yet.

I understand that there isn't a Gui Page for that, but it is possible to execute a scheduled "rsync" script ? (I have no idea how to write it, but I ask anyway :D )

• Someone brought that FTP test site to my attention like a week ago. It is pretty nice.

You will get to a point you are not making that many changes to your system drive. You are doing the right thing by imaging that drive with clonezilla. I image my bare metal machine about once a month. Most testing g is on a VM. With the image you really don't need to backup the system drive. Just make sure you Image it after any major change.

• Thanks to WastlJ and tekkbebe, I really appreciate your suggestions, I will study this thread http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3906
    and this other thread http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3205 to understand better how it works.

I have understood that I have to learn very clearly how to handle the FTPS users, and how assign to each one of them a specific directory...
    I am too used to the Synology, I have to learn first the users management in OMV.

...and I will make regularly Clonezilla images of my system hard drive, thanks to tekkbebe who showed me how to do it with PartedMagic via SSH :D

Thank you again guys, I will post a new update as soon as I will make some progress... :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

The backup part is easy. The restore part is the hard part.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

The backup part is easy. The restore part is the hard part.

I understand...

Earlier, after installing lftp (with apt-get install lftp), just for testing, I'm trying to execute the shell command: dobackup.sh

Code
    -rwxrwxrwx  1 root   root      48 Mar  3 13:32 dobackup.sh
    -rwxr--r--  1 root   root     148 Mar  3 13:26 naslite.txt

I get an error of "access denied". I have chmodded (+x) the script and chown root:root the script, but i got always the "access denied" error.

Can you tell where I'm wrong ?
    Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is the script on a data drive? They are mounted noexecute.

• Exactly :D

I have moved the script outside the data drive and now works.
    May I ask you where is "correct" (in which directory, for example /home/something, /etc/something) to store these kind of scripts ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

With the plugins, I put scripts in /usr/local/bin/

• Mine are all in the places where they belong to. Post scripts for pyload under ../pyload/scripts/ for example. Others are right in the home folder of root. I copy them sometimes to my raid. Not to execute them, just so save them if the system drive dies.

• Zitat von "WastlJ"

Mine are all in the places where they belong to. Post scripts for pyload under ../pyload/scripts/ for example. Others are right in the home folder of root. I copy them sometimes to my raid. Not to execute them, just so save them if the system drive dies.

Ok, understood...
    If i want to put it in the home of root is /home/root or /root ? (sorry but I'm not very familiar with linux...)

• Offizieller Beitrag

root home is /root/

• The backup on my OMV box works pretty well :)

For now I haven't used rsync because I'm not very familiar with the syntax :(
    I used lfpt (recyclying an old little script I wrote for another project)

-install lfpt with the usual debian command:

Code
    apt-get install lftp

then in /root/ I have created this two files:

the .sh script:

Bash
    #!/bin/bash
    lftp -f /root/naslite.txt

and the command list to give in imput to the ftp client lftp:

Code
    set ssl:verify-certificate no
    open 192.168.0.223
    login anonymous anonymous
    mirror -R /media/AufsPool/_iso_/ /Disk-3/_iso_/
    exit

/media/AufsPool/_iso_/ is the OMV box directory i want to mirror
    and /Disk-3/_iso_/ is the NasLite target directory.

Very simple :)

Thanks to ryeco and WastlJ.

• Today I have made some progress.
    Thanks to a post of ryecoaaron, I was able to configure a rsync backup of my OMV test box.
    The other day I have tested the network backup via the lftp client (see my other post).
    Here the post of ryeco:

Zitat

System #1 - important files stored here - OMV 0.5
    System #2 - backup of important files - OMV 0.5 - ip address 192.168.1.17

On system #2, go to Services -> Rsync. Check enable and add a module using default settings. We will call this module photos.

On system #1, go to System -> Cron Jobs. Add a cron job to run at whatever time is good for you and use the following command:

Here the code I used on my backup job to my NasLite rsync/ftp server.

Code
    rsync -avr /media/AufsPool/_iso_/ rsync://192.168.0.223/Disk-2/_iso_/

I have successfully installed the expect, and the wake-on-lan support on my OMV box.

The wake-on-lan support is needed because I want to turn on my NasLite box at a certain hour.
    Here the simple steps:

Code
    apt-get install wakeonlan

Then, I have created a cronjob with this command:

Code
    wakeonlan AA:DE:05:37:4A:7D

Finally, I have installed the "expect" utility that I have used to remotely log to my NasLite box and turn it off:

Code
    apt-get install expect

Then, I have created a little script that runs after the backup is completed:

I hope someone can find this infos usefull :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!