HDD temperature check without preventing standby

• I would like to control my HDD fans based on the HDD's temperature.
    I'm using a script reading the temperatures and serve them to fancontrol controling the pwm-fans.

But the problem is, smartctl and hddtemp preventing the disks from standby/spin-down. I think every smartctl access reset the standby-timers of the disks.

So, is there any way to get HDD temperatures without waking up disks and without preventing them from going into standby?
    Any help is is appreciated.

Thanks
    kalle

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unless you use a sensor external to the hard drive, I don't think you can access the driver sensor without waking it up.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Pulling smart data (which is where you get your temperature) wakes the drive. I've not yet seen any way around that.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Waking up the drives is not the problem. With the smartctl parameter -n (--nocheck) you can prevent that.
    But getting the temperature without preventing them from going into standby, thats the real problem.

Thanks for replying.
    kalle

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!