can we setup SFTP in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is an SSL tab in the ftp plugin. I don't use it but I think that is what it does.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

sorry, read that backwards. sftp is automatically enabled when you enable ssh... I use that all the time.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Interesting. Even without a webgui configuration page/plugin there is a guide or tutorial to use SFTP with a simple user/home directory management in OMV ?

edit: I have tried a while ago with raspbian (on the raspberry pi) to follow a guide but without success.

• Offizieller Beitrag

There is nothing to configure for sftp. It uses the same port as ssh. If you want your user to have sftp/scp/ssh access, add them to the ssh group in the Users tab. From Windows, use WinSCP. From linux, I just use the scp command.

• SFTP does not use a FTP server and is not really FTP. It is just like signing in your user and doing transfer via ssh.

See here:

http://compnetworking.about.co…fer/g/sftp-definition.htm

It stands for SSH File Transfer Protocol.

SSH File Transfer Protocol is not backward compatible with the traditional FTP protocol, meaning that SFTP clients cannot communicate with FTP servers and vice versa. Some client and server software embeds support for both protocols to overcome this limitation.

• SFTP can be done in Debian Squeeze and Wheezy. You do not need OMV to do it.

The best client to use with SFTP is probably Filezilla. You need to create a user and setup a home directory for the user. The main thing you have to think of in OMV is where you want the home directory for the user. It can be in the standard location /home or you can use a share/directory on one of the data drives. The user will have to be part of the users group and the ssh group. You can do both of these in either the web-gui of via cli. Then simply setup credentials in Filezilla to connect.

Another method of transferring files is SCP with WinSCP. Aaron like this program. I did but it is quite slow if you need to move a lot of data. I prefer to just move data to and from my server via SAMBA shares.

• Thanks for all the replys everyone.

Let me explain why i asked.
    I have an xperia z1 compact (android 4.3) and under storage it says to add a sftp (ssh file transfer protocol) share and my phone will show the share as a normal drive.
    so if it's not something i could add to my current OMV setup I would not mess with it. I was more intrigued at what i might be able to do with it on my phone.

Again thanks for all the replies.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

You can add it ez.... But again it is because of Debian Squeeze, not OMV. I'm not going to make a Guide now. I might later tonight or this weekend.

This is why I love projects like this, people helping people.
    Thanks tekkbebe

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Another method of transferring files is SCP with WinSCP.

WinSCP does ftp and sftp as well. I agree it can be slow.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Can you guys figure it out or do you need a Guide???? I should say I don't open port 22 to the internet. I only open 1194 for OpenVPN and port 32400 for Plex.

Thanks, for me is ok, I will try later today the instructions you gave us. Thanks again

• Ok I just sat down re read tekkbebe post and tried again to set up SFTP. did not work, problem my phone gave very limited info on why.
    So i then figured i would try filezilla, set it up and bingo it worked.

Here is what went wrong on my phone, the share was the issue, filezilla accepted and works with the name i gave my data share and my phone wanted the long drive identifier.

So yeah it's ez to set up, should have just tried in an app on my comp first.

• SFTP uses ssh, therefore it uses the same paths that are used on your system. So i guess you did not use SFTP on your desktop with filezilla, that you could use other paths.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!