RAM Usage and performance?

• I've had my NAS up and running well for a few days now (i5 3570k / 12gb ram) and I've been monitoring system performance, and I've noticed memory utilization is well under 25%, usually under 10%. Taking a look at the graphs I usually see that page cache is consistently using ~80% of my memory, with the rest dedicated to actual processes.

I'm also running an ESXI server (i7 860 + 12gb), and that box is definitely using more memory with multiple VM's running simultaneously. I was wondering if I would see much impact (if any), if I downgraded the OMV box to 8GB, and moved the additional 4GB over to my ESXI server? The only thing OMV is doing is the mdadm processes and running Plex Media Server (for a single client on the LAN).

I'd read many people suggest 1GB of RAM per TB of storage, but with 6x3TB in RAID-6, and judging from current stats, this seems way over-kill.

Just curious as to your thoughts on if 8GB of RAM would be sufficient for my instance of OMV+PLEX?

Below are the graphs from my system.

• This makes me cry.

So you remember people telling that you need about one gigabyte of RAM for each TB of Storage? I think you're not remembering all of it. *cough* ZFS *cough*...

Remove the RAM from your NAS and throw it in your ESXi Server...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks! :) Glad I'm not looking at it wrong, it seemed completely overkill according to usage, but I'm rather new to all things RAID so wanted to get some input before yanking chips.. I appreciate the help!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!