Raid 1 "clean / degraded" after power outage and disk remova

• Hi everyone!

On Friday evening we had a power outage and everything went down for hours. As my colleague had saved an important file to server which needed to be sent to the client, I took one of the raid disks out to access it via a docking station at home to finalize the report and send it on time.

Now, when coming back to the office some colleague had switched the NAS on already, before I could put the disk back (not sure if this had an impact on my problem).

The disk is back in the NAS, but seems like the NAS doesn't recognize the disk and says raid 1 "clean / degraded":

When clicking on "Details", this is what appears:

So from what I can see it is missing /dev/sdb which was the disk that has been removed.

When I click on "Recover" the disk doesn't show up:

How do I get OMV get to recognize the second disk for the raid1 without having to delete everything on the disk? Is there any chance?

My setup is the following:

HP Microserver N36L
    Disk1: 250GB (OMV installation only)
    Disk2: 1TB (Raid1)
    Disk3: 1TB (Raid1)
    Disk4: 1TB (Backup disk for Raid1, which will be mirrored via Rsync daily or at least 2-3 times a week).

Then for additional Backup I have two external HD of 1TB which will mirror the Raid1 in turns, always on Friday.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably need to wipe the disk you removed and possibly zero the superblock. Then it should show up in the Recover dialog.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So there is no chance to get this running without wiping the disk?

Is there a way to say what caused this? Is it the removal itself (the server was switched off), the accessing via a docking station (only reading, no writing) or the fact that the NAS was started before the disk was back?

Does this mean, whenever I take out one of the raid disks (for whatever reason) this will happen? Or shouldn't this be happening but it happened for whatever other reason?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I was trying to give you web gui options. You could try to assemble them from the command line.

Code
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

If it says it is a member of another array, you will have to:

Code
    mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb
    mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

It probably happens from two things. Booting the server without the second drive and booting the docking station without the first drive. If you are going to move a disk around, I recommend copying files to and moving a non-raid drive.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Hi ryecoaaron,

I will try your tips.

Thank you also for the explanation. The "moving" around of the disk basically only happened because of the power outage. The colleague has only a PC without USV and our NAS doesn't have a USV either. As I needed to send the report on the same day and the file was on my colleagues computer (which was without electricity) and the NAS (which was without electricity), there was only one chance to access the file or do everything my colleague had done again myself. So I took a chance and brought the Raid1 disk home and accessed it directly. In this case I had basically no other chance. OK, I could have waited to see if electricity would come back, but experience has shown that this could have taken a few hours, so I decided to risk it... ;)

I'll try your tips now and see if it helps in any way. But before it is probably clever to make a backup on the 3rd internal data drive.

• Hi,

So I ran the first command "mdadm --stop /dev/md127" and this is the result:

Code
    mdadm: failed to stop array /dev/md127: Device or resource busy
    Perhaps a running process, mounted filesystem or active volume group?

Obviously the Raid is still mounted and I can't unmount it via the interface, because there are shared folders on it. Does this mean I have to delete all the shared folders to do this and then recreate them? That would be a real bummer...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use SystemRescueCD. Boot it on your server and it will autorecognize the array but not mount it. Then you can run the commands.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I use it from a usb stick (and pxe boot) all the time. LinuxLive USB Creator works great on Windows.

• Ohhh, I need to use pxe boot? I just wanted to ask if I can do it with a Ubuntu Live USB as well, because the created USB drive with RescueCD just wouldn't boot.

But I was worried that the commands would not be the same or wouldn't work when done with Ubuntu (maybe not recognized by OMV).

Will shut down the Ubuntu LiveCD which booted just fine and try it again with the Rescue one.

• Tried to boot the usb stick with SystemRescueCD but even when choosing the option pxe boot, it won't boot from the stick, which the Ubuntu stick just boots fine. I will do some research if the commands are the same and if it is save to use the ubuntu live cd.

• No need to use PXE boot...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ubuntu will work too.

• trying the mdadm command with and without sudo:

Code
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm: error opening /dev/md127: No such file or directory
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm: must be super-user to perform this action
  • Code
    ls -la /dev/md*

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hi! Tried

ls -la /dev/md*

as well, but it says that no such file available.

Code
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ls -la /dev/md*
    ls: cannot access /dev/md*: No such file or directory

I think I will have to rebuild the Raid like in the first suggestion. I wanted to avoid this, but at the moment it doesn't look like I will get this running.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!