• Hey Guys,

did anyone get plexmediaserver to work?
    I tried to do it the easy way, so I installed it via ssh with

Code
    apt-get install plexmediaserver

but there i get an error at the end of the installation

Code
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/plexmediaserver.postinst: 34: start: not found

I think that happens, because the .deb package is prepared for a host that uses upstart, but openmediavault doesn't use that until now.
    Because the Link that lies under

Code
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver

points to

Code
    /lib/init/upstart-job

which isn't present.

I could try to

Code
    apt-get install upstart

but I don't want to mess up my system.

Any ideas? Help would be appreciated. :ugeek:

• Zitat

but I don't want to mess up my system.

I highly suggest you install the virtualbox plugin and make a virtual OMV machine (set it to bridged network adapter) I'm finding it helpful to keep my freshly redone system from getting trashed.
    As for the results, I got the exact same as you. I'm really interested in this to hopefully have a headless server for XBMC. I would really love it to handle the shared MySQL database set for XBMC.

• Mod, I can't edit my post so please merge the following into my post once it's approved

Found out how to install Plex Media Server on Debian Squeeze. Only issue now the web GUI page is blank.
    To install go according to the instructions of this post: http://forums.plexapp.com/inde…view__findpost__p__290304
    Quoting here for those that don't want to open a new tab/window

• The important thing to do is:

- make a new script in /etc/init.d with the name "plexmediaserver" and paste the whole code below into it.
    - make a chmod +x /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver
    - make a "update-rc.d plexmediaserver enable"

• Cool, THX.

So the package in the debian repos is defect... :cry:
    And I dont want to use vbox for that, because of performance...
    Installation went through, but I have to check if the webinterface works, when I'm @home.

Thanks!

• Meanwhile there came in an upgrade .deb that destroyed a lot.

I recognized during the upgrade that the debconf spit out this:

Code
    adduser: Warnung: Das Home-Verzeichnis »/var/lib/plexmediaserver« gehört nicht dem Benutzer, den Sie gerade anlegen.
    update-rc.d: using dependency based boot sequencing
    Plex Media Server is not running (no process found)...
    Starting Plex Media Server: done

as you can see the process marks up that the "home-folder" /var/lib/plexmediaserver soesn't belong to the just added user.
    Even if it says "Starting Plex Media Server: done" it isn't running:

Code
    root@omv:/# /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver status
    It seems that Plex Media Server isn't running (no process found).

and trying to start it hangs:

Code
    root@omv:/# su -l plex /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver start
    Starting Plex Media Server:

which I must cancel with ctrl+c
    I will poke around there, but I am happy if someone has a hint for that one.
    (I'm not sure how the packager test his packages, that these things happen?!?) :roll:

• ok - as root it works - so there is a problem in the installation script... :(

====EDIT====

no - only partly.
    the webinterface comes up - but the scrapers are missing and so on. i think the release is defect fpr debian...

sadly i dont have the .deb of the last version not saved... :x

• Hi.
    I just upgraded my brothers openmedia vault with the latest plex from my repo and I had no problems what so ever with the upgrade or with the start of the new version. With that said I need to point out that he is on an amd64 system. I haven't checked the i386 package yet.

I did a google translate on the error msg you got during the upgrade.

adduser: Warnung: Das Home-Verzeichnis »/var/lib/plexmediaserver« gehört nicht dem Benutzer, den Sie gerade anlegen.
    translates to
    adduser: Warning: The home directory "/var/lib/plexmediaserver" does not belong to the user that you are creating.

So my question to you is what system are you running amd64 or i386 and who is the owner of /var/lib/plexmediaserver

Code
    ls -la /var/lib/
    drwxr-xr-x  3 plex    nogroup 4096 Aug 21 19:12 plexmediaserver

Edit.
    Just tried the i386 package on my virtual i386 debian machine and it did install nice and clean and started up without any trouble.

• FWIW, the plex update installed fine, the web ui came up fine (and it even recognized new videos), but it would not serve media. Devices running Plex would say that the server is unavailable, and MyPlex said that the server is up, but plex isnt running.

After uninstalling and reinstalling, Plex is working perfectly.

• I have exactly the same problem. Who ever cope?

• This is how I solved the problem...everything done as root

1. first install plex from here
    http://forums.plexapp.com/inde…server-debian-repository/

1.5: for openemediavault I think we need to add more debian repo, I have stable, unstable and even experimental,, if installation failed then try adding each one at a time and try again

2 .run command

Code
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/plexmediaserver

3. change user plex to root

Code
    nano /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver

goto line 18 change "plex" to "root"

again

Code
    nano /etc/default/plexmediaserver

line 19
    change plex to root

3. now
    run command

Code
    /etc/init.d/plexmediaserver restart

4. goto browser

Code
    [omv ip]:32400/web

if everything went well it should work properly..

#after this (its optional, my openmediavault partition is small so I had to move my Plex library to other partition so I created symbolic link folder)

copy all the files from /root/Library to /media/[partition name]/Library

Code
    cp -avr /root/Library /media/[partition name]/Library

(just in case | backup)

Code
    mv /root/Library  /root/Library.bak

Code
    ln -s /media/[partition name]/Library /root/Library

done..

• There's also a way to get a headless XBMC compiled on OMV. Works fairly well. At least for the alphas where it would allow library updates from sickbeard and couchpotato. The newer UPnP is proving to be a pain to me. But there are work-arounds for the old MySQL database shares.

Once I get more kinks on how I set it up worked out, I'll post a clear "how to" in a new thread here. I'm still appreciative to all the guys on the XBMC forums for guiding me on how to do it.

• for me plex is working just fine..:) with omv + plex media server + windows client + TV = perfect home system. Right now I am trying to get itunes library working in omv, finger cross as it works in plex media server(windows version)..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!