Question about HDD protection

• Hi, first of all sorry for my horrible english, i wil try to do my best. Hope this post goes in the right section too, is not a storage problem itself, is a question about how OMV manages HDDs by default.

I dont have any problem at all with OMV setup, in fact i find it very very easy to install and use, at least in my server (have been using it for 2 months). I have always used a Linux distribution (Mint and Debian), but OMV seems better suited for my needs (just stream to the other house TV, Tablets and PC, once or twice a day).

Well, now the big problem...I have 3 TB Western Digital Green HDD, full of media and...no raid at all. I know its dangerous, but its impossible now for me to duplicate them (even use RAID 5). I take some care with them: just storage and stream a little and no bittorrent or similar use at all, EXT4 system, all stored in a fresh place and a good server...but I want to know if OMV BY ITSELF (this is very important) is watching in any way for my HDDs. I know it has a S.M.A.R.T. monitor and a nice and complete option so we can manage how they work but...i am a big fan of let the system manage those things, im not an expert at all and. Have had a GREAT experience with Linux so far, and a horrible experience with Windows. Don´t know how OMV takes care (if he does at all) of my HDDs, any info will be greatly welcome!

Thanks a million for your time

PD: I really know its a danger not to have RAID, its a future plan but right now i must do the best i can with the hardware i already have

• OMV does only SMART-Monitoring, and sends you a mail, when something goes wrong. Then it is too late sometimes. If you have TB of media (films, photos, TV-Shows ...) then maybe you can have a look at the SnapRAID-Plugin here in the forum:
    http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3004

For snapraid you will need a additional HDD for the parity. With this parity, snapraid can recreate files on a HDD that crashed or died. Snapraid saved me from a 2TB-Data loss due to a defective HDD ...
    You can use Snapraid with already filled HDDs, but the additional HDD has to be at least the same size as the largest HDD to protect.
    More Info: http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!