Shares and Hidden Folders

• Hi all,

Im wanting to user users and groups to show and hide shared folders on my NAS. Basically i want to have a backup folder on the nas with my documents and files in but not have others see it. I would want to expand this out to allow users access to TV shows / Movies and music etc in the future.

I've been playing with it on a VM and i cannot seem to get it right. Ive read that you can use "access based share enum = yes" to only show folders that users have access too? but i cant seem to get it to work. Has anyone done anything like this?
    Ive tried with the above SMB command on the shared folder and on the SMB settings page but neither seem to work.

Im also not sure how my shared folders should be setup. Please see image below for whats in my head

Any pointers would be appreciated.

• You should have 3 shared folders that are then shared with SBM/CIFS.

1)
    /media/uuid/Media (share this Media folder via SMB/CIFS)
    use the default drop down when you create this shared folder. Give read/write only to users that you want to be able to add files.

then in that folder while connected via SAMBA create a Movies, Music, TV and Pictures subfolders. (Plex will be able to read all these folders because the chmod is read only for others. That is all Plex needs.)

2) /media/uuid/Backups
    Choose this option when creating the shared folder and only give yourself read/write
    Administrator: read/write, Users: read/write, Others: no access

3) /media/uuid/Documents
    Choose this option when creating the shared folder and only give yourself read/write
    Administrator: read/write, Users: read/write, Others: no access

If you set this up right you do not need ACL. Only Privileges need to be setup.

• So i cant hide folders with the "access based share enum" command?

Basically i want 1 user to see a set of folders to a different user but both to see a common shared area based on their group membership.

• If you set a user to "no access" to a specific folder, this user does not see this folder.

So I have two users: User1 and User2
    and three folders:
    share, user1, user2

If i set folder "user1" to "no access" for user2, then this user cannot see this folder. Of course, also doable with groups:

• Zitat von "WastlJ"

If you set a user to "no access" to a specific folder, this user does not see this folder.

So I have two users: User1 and User2
    and three folders:
    share, user1, user2

If i set folder "user1" to "no access" for user2, then this user cannot see this folder. Of course, also doable with groups:

Ive just tried this and i can still see the folder that 'user1' has no access set for. Have you set anything else on your SMB settings?

Just spotted that under the group memberships that users are part of the 'users' group, which cannot be removed. So im guessing i need to alter the default perms when creating the shared folder so users have no access.

Nevermind i managed to do it another way. Set privelages as per this thread and make the SMB share with a $ sign at the end, same result just a different way of accessing it.

• Make a custom group. You can do in the web-gui. Add yourself to that group.

Then chown say the Backups folder like so:

cd /media/uuid/
    chown -R youruser:hiddengroupname Backups

None of the other users will be able to access because they are not part of group.
    You can still use same folder creation method above.
    You are picky man. I don't know why it is big deal if a user can see a Backups or Documents folder but can't access it.

• No need to do above... just go with your solution. They can't access it so don't name the folder pron like you wanted to and name it something else.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Zitat von "mcloum"

Ive just tried this and i can still see the folder that 'user1' has no access set for. Have you set anything else on your SMB settings?

Actually I´m using AFP. Maybe this is the reason why it does not even display...

• I just didnt want other uses to see it so they wouldnt attempt to get in, if they dont know its there then they cant try :) It would be containing backups of my own personal documents like bank details, emails etc..........and yes a bit of pron :)

• Then make it another shared folder which is not listed. Works easy.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!