A terrible mistake with Samba. Help!

• Today I was having problems with Win8 and my OMV server. Until today my OMV installation was working fine for a couple of years, including samba.

But I stupidly did:

Code
    apt-get install samba

:(

now samba is broken, and apt-get remove samba produces the horrible warning:

The following packages will be REMOVED:

Code
    openmediavault openmediavault-forkeddaapd openmediavault-minidlna openmediavault-mysql openmediavault-omvpluginsorg
      openmediavault-processlist openmediavault-transmissionbt openmediavault-website samba

I can see that would be a very very bad thing, so I didn't proceed with the remove.

What can I do to repair the damage? The server seems ok apart from samba, but I have no idea what to do to undo my horrible stupidity...

• What the hell did you do? "apt-get install samba" should not have caused any issue at all, because it is already installed.

Whats the output of the following command:

Code
    service samba status

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Thanks for your quick responses. It was quite late when I ran into this problem. I'd been configuring 2 Windows 8 machines all day, and one of them started acting strange when accessing my samba shares. I read that this could be caused by an old version of samba, so I did the apt-get install samba without checking much, thinking that it would upgrade samba and shouldn't cause any problems.

Code
    service samba status

returns

Code
    nmbd is running.
    could not access PID file for smbd ... failed!

after

Code
    /etc/init.d/samba restart

it shows the same.

Code
    find / | grep -i smbd.pid

sits for ages and doesn't show anything. at least not yet.

Code
    testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf

shows my proper smb.conf file, with just one little warning

Code
    WARNING: You have some share names that are longer than 12 characters.

After a good nights sleep I'm not so panicked, but samba's still not up..

• Sadly, I'm still getting nowhere with this. log.smbd is empty, no other logs show anything useful. I still get

Code
    service samba status

nmbd is running.
    could not access PID file for smbd ... failed!

and

• Just out of curiosity, did you try to reboot your system inbetween trying to start samba?

I only find suggestions to look for the pid file, obviously you did not find it yet?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• I didn't find the process, how ever I did find lots of processes with status -D (disabled, deep sleep), which I could not kill, no matter what technique I used. There were also lots of locked files (listed using the sambastatus command, I think).

What started all these problems was a decision to make my laptop my work/music computer, with my desktop becoming my HTPC. This involved upgrading both machines to Windows 8, as I want to use windows games and possibly SteamOS on the HTPC. Anyway, this meant moving a lot of files around, and I was using my OMV server as a middle-man. That all went fine until I tried to move my biggest 'work' folder to the server. The mapped server drive kept going offline, and after I lost patience with that happening, I tried upgrading samba.

In the end this spells the end of my use of OMV. I became disillusioned with it a while ago when I realised how outdated the kernel was, and how non-standard the whole thing is. This could be the root of my problem because at some point I changed the kernel and installed some backports packages. I'm no Linux expert, but I was led to understand at the time that there were some risks in doing that.

When I decided I wanted a NAS, I started with Freenas, which I found extremely unreliable, so moved to OMV, which has - on the whole - served me well for 2+ years. But, as my linux skills have improved I've felt more confident about setting up a vanilla Debian server. To that end I already had an installation ready. These samba problems precipitated the move away from OMV. So yesterday I removed the OMV disk and replaced it with the Debian 7 one, with all the services I want already set up. After some mounting and samba config with webmin my server is now back up. Now all I have to do is properly configure all my other services..

So, this is goodbye from me to OMV :( Thanks to everyone involved there for all the hard work. I'm pretty sure I donated at some point :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!