Local to remote OMV Rsync

• Hi There,

I’ve been searching everywhere for answers to my problem but can’t seem to find them. So if anyone can post links to relevant info or help me out it would be great, here’s my situation.

I’m trying to send data from a local OMV server to a remote OMV server over the internet using rsync. I would also like to use it over SSH but that can be added later once I get it working. I’m just not sure what I’m missing or doing wrong. I’m pretty new to rsync as I’ve been using crashpaln for remote backups instead.

On the remote server under rsync Server Settings I've checked the box to enable rsync server and left the default port settings as they are.

- In Add Module>>General, I have named the module Rsync-Test and created the necessary shared folders for it.
    - For the user I selected my custom user “rysnc”.
    - I checked the box “Enable user authentication”.
    - All other settings are default.

- In Add Module>>Users, I added my custom user “rsync” and its password to the list of users.

- Both ports 22 & 873 have been forwarded in my firewall.

On the client OMV I added an Rsync Job with the following settings.
    - Type - Remote
    - Mode - Push
    - Source - The source folder I made earlier
    - Destination - http://rsync@remoteomveserver.com:873/Rsync-Test
    - password – password for my “rsync” user
    - All other setting are default.

I’m not sure if I’ve done this right or wrong but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cheers, Baldman :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

For the destination, try (this doesn't use ssh):

Code
    rsync@remoteomvserver.com::Rsync-Test

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi ryecoaaron,

It spits out this error:

ome files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1060) [sender=3.0.7]
    edup is 0.00

It also looks like some of the error has bee cut off... not sure why!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Code 23 is a permissions error. Your connection string is correct now but you will need to give the rsync user more permissions for the shared folder you are syncing to.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• That looks to have got it going and files are transferring, but after transfer it still throws up errors as follows:

23) at main.c(1060) [sender=3.0.7] ...looks like some of the error codes been cut off again!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might have to change ownership of the remote files using something like:

Code
    chown -R rsync:users /media/long_uuid/Rsync-Test/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think you will be able to use ssh from the plugin because I don't think ssh would use the password from the password field. You could setup keys eliminating the password but you can't do that from the web interface either.

• Oh ok that's a shame, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible. I'll have a look at the link you posted and see how easy its. It would be nice to have some sort of secure transfer. Thanks for your help though, its appreciated :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!