How to compile/install a plugin from source?

• Hi,

I have found this SickBeard fork called SickRage which in my opinion is much better and has features I need. I think I've read somewhere on this forum that plugins like openmediavault-sickbeard are not going to be updated until OMV 0.6 is release and I really didn't want to wait for that...

So, I've forked openmediavault-sickbeard (and uninstall the original plugin from OMV interface) and changed the main repository to the SickRage fork. What I need to know now is how can I compile my fork into a .deb file and install it into my system. I have no clue how to do that. I've compiled things from source before (like XBMC) but I never created a .deb package so I'm not sure how to do that.

Can anyone help me please?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Packages need:

Code
    apt-get install build-essential fakeroot debhelper

To build the package - in plugin's main directory:

Code
    fakeroot debian/rules clean binary

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's it, thank you very much :D

For anyone that's interested, clone the plugin with:

Code
    git clone -b master https://github.com/rfgamaral/openmediavault-sickrage.git

Compile it like ryecoaaron said above and install with:

Code
    dpkg -i openmediavault-sickrage_0.6_all.deb

I changed the name and version to avoid any kind of conflicts and to be easily identified as a "different" plugin from the original one. But it's probably recommended that you uninstall the original plugin first. Backup your /home/sicbeard/.sickbeard folder first, or you might lose all your settings and database.

Also, if you change to this fork, the guys over at SickRage recommend you start the database from scratch instead of migrating it from Sick Beard. But please, read their website before migrating. I'm just installing this for the first time, so it's not a problem for me.

P.S: I did this because I needed it, of course. But I would really recommend for the original plugin to be updated with this SickRage forked repository, it's much nicer and I believe it actually replaces the functionality provided in the other 2 available repositories. Just a suggestion to whoever maintains these plugins and omv-extras.org :)

Thanks again :)

• Since we'll probably add it to the main package it's not good to add it to the repo. It would just mean users installed a deprecated package from the beginning. :)

• And it would be in conflict with the original one because the installation scripts, users, paths, are all the same (even the SickRage fork uses "sickbeard" everywhere, it didn't change the branding at all; in the end, it still is SickBeard). I'd say to update the original plugin, removing the other 2 forks and include this one instead.

Here's a few things that I like more on SickRage and a few are the reasons I've switched:

• Better torrent support (I don't use this)
    • Subtitle download support
    • Pushbullet notifications support (it was mostly for this, honestly :D)
    • Cleaner UI (IMO)

And there's a ton of other features/improvements though... Beware that the developers of this state that this fork is still in beta stage.

Another thing, I'm getting this when starting this plugin service:

And on the first run, there's an error in the log, which goes away after a service restart. Everything seems to be working just fine though...

• I have added this fork to the main plugin, when ryecoaaron has the time he will release this version ;)

[align=center]banner@1x.jpg
    What I am watching/watched on my Popcorn Hour media player
    omv 2.1.1 stoneburner | 64 bit | omvextrasorg 1.29
    MySQL (Percona[size=8]) | Newznab | Sonarr | CP | HP | NZBget | YAMJ | CUPS

• Offizieller Beitrag

Other issue fixed. 0.5.8 in repo :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• You guys assume to much. People should definitely not install one over the other. It should be for testing and the old not removed til you know the new one is indeed better. We have multiple repos to put stuff into too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

In this case, it was a minor change though. It just added an addition repo as an option. Worst case, the sickrage repo doesn't work but the rest of the plugin and three other repos do.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

In this case, it was a minor change though. It just added an addition repo as an option. Worst case, the sickrage repo doesn't work but the rest of the plugin and three other repos do.

Well, I got rid of my custom package, updated the plugin and I'm using the SickRage repo just fine. But I'm not sure the other 2 repos are really working. I believe the TPB one does not exist anymore, please check...

For the ones interested in the SickRage repo, I have it running on my system but not without it's issues:

• I just reported this issue that I believe it's a bug and not something wrong with the installation: https://github.com/echel0n/SickRage/issues/455 - I also tested this on Windows and followed the normal install procedure and gave me the same problem, so it's probably a bug on their end.
    • If you use the sabToSickBeard.py script with SABnzbd to post-process your downloads, there's a little difference in the SickRage's script. It looks for a python2 executable, instead of a python one; that didn't exist on my system. Something like ln -s /usr/bin/python2.6 /usr/bin/python2 will do the trick to fix that.
    • Subtitles downloading are not working and at first I believed this was a problem with Python 2.6 being installed instead of 2.7 because I had this working before.

As for the subtitles problem, like I said, I suspected of Python at first... But I'm researching the problem a little bit deeper and this might actually be another bug on SickRage... I'll do some more testing tomorrow and report back.

• Hi,
    One more thing : after installing the compiled debian package with dpkg -i, it will usually fail the first time complaining about missing dependencies.
    You just have to call "sudo apt-get -f install" to install them and fix the dpkg install.

• Zitat von "Cinhil"

Hi,
    One more thing : after installing the compiled debian package with dpkg -i, it will usually fail the first time complaining about missing dependencies.
    You just have to call "sudo apt-get -f install" to install them and fix the dpkg install.

It didn't on my case though, but thanks for the tip :)

About the subtitles issue I reported above... Well, now they are working just fine. Maybe the OpenSubtitles API was borked yesterday and only worked on some particular situations, I don't know... But it's working, for now at least.

• Zitat von "Cinhil"

Hi,

Yeah... sudo... on a standard debian system... :roll:

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!