Replacing my Ubuntu server with OMV - hardware suggestions?

• Hi,

I've been recommended OMV by a friend, and I've chosen to replace my running Ubuntu server with an OMV installation.
    My usage requirements are:

Torrent client.
      Plex Media Server (absolutely critical)
      Owncloud
      FTP
      Network File Share to Windows Client.

I'm going to be buying the C2750D4I motherboard from ASRock..
    Intel Avoton C2750 Octa-Core Processor
    DDR3 1600/1333 Dual-channel Max. 64GB
    2 SATA3 6.0Gbps, 4 SATA2 3.0Gbps by C2750
    4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s by Marvell SE9230, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s by Marvell SE9172
    Dual Intel i210 Gigabit LAN ports (with Teaming function)
    3 x USB 2.0 ports (2 rear ports + 1 via headers or 1 rear ports + 2 via headers controlled by USB_SEL1 and USB_SEL2 jumper)
    1 x PCI-E x8 slot

I'm buying a Corsair CS450M to power it, since I am familiar with that manufacturer and like them a lot.

It's going in to a Lian Li PC-Q25B case, the above PSU meets the size requirements, cpu is passively cooled, should be good.

It's going to be populated with ECC memory, but since it has four dimm slots on a micro-ITX, I am unsure of the configuration. Since memory is expensive these days, I am considering a single 16GB ECC for now, to be populated later. I am unsure if this is "extreme" for my requirements, just trying to be as future-proof as possible. Particularly if OMV is going to support something like ZFS later on...

It's going to be populated by my existing 4x3TB Western Digital Red drives, I am probably going to add another one to the array, just because I can. :lol:

I have a 128GB SSD that I am planning on using for the system drive, is that overkill? Should I find something smaller..? I notice that the system requirements are extremely spartan, but depending on where plex is going to dump it's index library the additional space could come in handy. I have some 2,5" laptop drives available too, but I was thinking the SSD to make it as reliable as can be. Not opposed to getting a 32/64gig one instead, either.

Please, you OMV guru's, share with me your wisdom! :)

• 1) If you think you want to mess with vms a lot you should get more then a dual core.
    2) You don't need a very big ssd. I would buy 32gb but it is not sweet spot in the market anymore. Make sure you look at reviews and don't buy one that is known to have problems. i prefer Crucial or Intel.
    3) You need a lot of sata ports on the motherboard unless you playn on installing a RAID/SATA controller card.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

1) If you think you want to mess with vms a lot you should get more then a dual core.
    2) You don't need a very big ssd. I would buy 32gb but it is not sweet spot in the market anymore. Make sure you loot at reviews and don't buy one that is known to have problems. i prefer Crucial or Intel.
    3) You need a lot of sata ports on the motherboard unless you playn on installing a RAID/SATA controller card.

1. this is an octo-core.. 8 cores.
    2. 128GB isn't very big.. do you happen to know where Plex stores the media library index? That can really gobble up space.
    3. This has 12. :)

PCB layout if you're interested:
    http://images.anandtech.com/do…Rock%20C2750D4I%20Top.jpg

I am also looking at the quad core version of this board.. since it's significantly cheaper, and the only difference is the amount of cores..

• I'm also looking into building a NAS using the ASRock C2750D4I

My build will consist of ...

ASRock C2750D4I
    Crucial 8GB Kit DDR3 Server Memory CT2K4G3ERSLS4160B
    Silverstone Tek Premium Mini-ITX Case (DS380B)
    Silverstone Tek 450W SFX (ST45SF)
    Spare 120GB 2.5 OS drive

This should be good enough to build an 8 bay NAS populated with 8 4TB Western Digital RED drives. I was going to set it up with a RAID6 configuration. I also plan on upgrading later on with a LSI LSI00300 RAID controller for external expandability.

I am just waiting until I can gather the funds to purchase the equipment so I can finally upgrade my current 4 bay Netgear ReadyNAS NV+. Hopefully the next version of OMV running on wheezy will be out soon.

ASUS P9A-I/C2550/SAS/4L w/ Intel Atom C2550 (2.40GHz) | Kingston ECC 16GB RAM | 1x 120GB OS HDD| 8x 2TB HDD (RAID 6) | SilverStone DS380
    OMV 2.1.23 Stone Burner (64 bit) | Debian 7 (Wheezy) w/Kernel 3.2.0-4-amd64

• Plex Library and you Media folder will be on the Data drives if you use the plugin. So no space is needed for this on the system drive.

If you are using very new hardware I would install Debian Wheezy and then OMV 1 on top of it. You can use a much newer kernel with this. OMV 1 will hopefully be out in a month. It is beta now. But you can still install and use it before it is official.

I did not read all your specs. Just giving some advice.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Plex Library and you Media folder will be on the Data drives if you use the plugin. So no space is needed for this on the system drive.

If you are using very new hardware I would install Debian Wheezy and then OMV 1 on top of it. You can use a much newer kernel with this. OMV 1 will hopefully be out in a month.

I did not read all your specs. Just giving some advice.

Is the plugin recommended? I was thinking I'd install Plex directly, since I am a plexpass member, to get all the latest updates when they come.

• Use the plugin. It is great and much thought was put into it. I've used plex a lot and put much input into design of plugin. The plugins does all the stuff you should do in a manual install. And much most people would not know how to do.

Plus it is better integrated into OMV. Let me find a picture....

• These pics from a vm. My main machine is running a AMD 615e, which was an energy efficient quadcore that AMD made a while back. Still works really well for OMV. Remember this is not a gaming machine and if you do not have tons of ppl connecting you do not need a Xeon.

8 gigs DDR3 1600

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

These pics from a vm. My main machine is running a AMD 615e, which was an energy efficient quadcore that AMD made a while back. Still works really well for OMV. Remember this is not a gaming machine and if you do not have tons of ppl connecting you do not need a Xeon.

I realize.. I would like to be able to have at least two concurrent 1080P transcodes though.. my current E5600 dual core gets really hot and bothered during just one!

• I would comparre benchmarks of this cpu to some i5 and i7 cpus. I just looked at benchmarks of it. It is not terribly high score. Just do some research before you buy. Get the best power for you money.

My AMD 615e
    score 2914
    http://www.passmark.com/cpuben…+Athlon+II+X4+615e&id=165

The Intel Atom C2750
    score 3797
    http://www.passmark.com/cpuben…C2750+%40+2.40GHz&id=2185

You want to try and get one with low TDP too. Because you will be running it all the time.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Yeah, it is a good choice. If you want higher benchmark cpu you could get i7 but would sacrifice cores.

And it'd consume more power, too.. A few people have this mobo/cpu combo over at the plex boards, and have posted very good results.. Currently looking at whether or not I actually NEED the octocore, or if the quad would be sufficient for my needs.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

It does not have hyperthreading. So it is probably more like a 4 core. But it is good cpu from what I see.

True, and you can't really beat a 25W power draw..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!